Crime blotter: Shots fired call leads to altering weapons charges
A Salisbury man faces felony charges after Rowan County Sheriff’s deputies went to his home Thursday regarding a shots fired call.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office charged James Lee Propst, 41, of the 3500 block of Old Mocksville Road, with felony altering/destroying or removing identifying marks on personal property.
Law enforcement received a shots fired call near the residence. When officials arrived, they determined Propst had been firing a 22-gauge Mossberg pump shotgun.
According to Capt. John Sifford, Propst did not violate any law by shooting, but he did when he scratched off the serial number of the shotgun.
Propst appeared to be intoxicated and because of his impairment, officers were unable to talk with him. It’s not known why he was shooting and why he had the serial numbers scratched off the weapon.
Propst was convicted in 2002 and 1997 of driving while impaired and misdemeanor larceny in 1991, according to the N.C. Department of Corrections.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• Frank’s Pawn Shop reported on Thursday the business was a victim of fraud between Jan. 26 and Feb. 3 in the 100 block of North Main Street.
• A woman reported on Thursday she was the victim of a burglary in the 6100 block of Bringle Ferry Road.
• A woman reported on Thursday someone broke into her vehicle in the 700 block of Crescent Road.
• Brandon Michael Lemmon, 18, was charged on Thursday with felony obtaining property of false pretenses while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Joshua Ross Wise, 29, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• James Lee McLane, 61, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor allowing vicious animal to run at large in the 200 block of Westfield Drive, Cleveland.
• Terry Malik Ingold, 19, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia after a traffic stop for erratic driving in the 1500 block of Emanuel Church Road, Rockwell.
In police reports:
• A man reported on Friday a larceny and simple assault in the 700 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A woman reported on Friday her vehicle was stolen from outside of her apartment building in the 600 block of Statesville Boulevard.
• Police investigated a fraudulent incident on Friday in the 600 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A woman reported on Friday she was the victim of vandalism in the 600 block of East Liberty Street.
• Police responded to the 600 block of Harrell Street regarding suspect marijuana possession.
• A man reported on Feb. 13 a larceny at Super 8 Motel in the 900 block of Bendix Drive.
• Police investigated on Saturday an assault that occurred in the 100 block of West Bank and South Main streets.
• A man reported on Saturday a breaking and entering occurred in the 200 block of West Monroe Street.
• A man reported on Saturday his vehicle was broken into in the 1700 block Woodrun Circle.
• A woman reported on Saturday items were taken from her vehicle in the 500 block of Wesley Drive.
• A man reported on Saturday he was the victim of a scam that occurred sometime between Oct. 1 and Feb. 9 in the 800 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A man reported on Saturday he was assaulted with a knife in the 700 block of West Innes and South West streets.
• A man reported on Sunday someone took items from his vehicle in the 800 block of Wendermere Circle between Feb. 9 and Feb. 10.
• Police responded on Sunday to a burglary in the 100 block of Ridge Avenue.
• Police conducted a traffic stop on Sunday and discovered marijuana inside a car in the 76000 block of Northbound Interstate 85.
• Francine Nicole Leach, 16, was charged on Friday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 500 block of Lincolnton Road.
• Joshua Dewayne Pruitt, 21, was charged on Friday with misdemeanor weapon on campus or other educational property in the 1000 block of North Salisbury Avenue.
• Ernest Anthony Barnhardt, 36, was charged on Friday with misdemeanor simple possession of drugs in the 1200 block of Park Avenue.
• Terry Christopher Tandy, 34, was charged on Saturday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses in the 100 block of East Fisher Street.
• Nicholas Matthew Barbee, 34, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 100 block of West Bank and South Main streets.
• Shale Monique Glenn, 21, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor driving while license revoked in the 100 block of North Lee Street.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.