Blotter: Five more victims identified in Red Road rock throwing incident
Published 12:30 am Thursday, February 5, 2015
By Shavonne Walker
Authorities say several more motorists have come forward saying their vehicles were also damaged while driving on Red Road between mid-December and January. Earlier in the week, two 14-year-old boys were charged with throwing rocks at over a dozen cars. One of those cars belonged to a deputy at the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
The boys were initially charged with 12 counts of misdemeanor injury to personal property. Reports show five more drivers have said they received damage to their vehicles after driving on Red Road.
One of those victims told authorities he was driving on Red and Wilcoy roads on Jan. 19 around 6 p.m. when his vehicle was struck. Another victim reported driving on Red and Wilcoy Roads on Jan. 12 around 6 p.m.
A woman and a man said their cars were damaged around 6 p.m. on Dec. 15 while a woman said sometime between Jan. 6 and Jan. 8, her vehicle was struck by rocks.
The vehicles had damaged windshields, hood and doors.
When Barkley asked the kids why they threw rocks at cars, both told him for the “adrenaline rush.”
Investigators believe there are still more victims who may not realize the cause of damage to their vehicles.
Anyone who believes damage to their car was a result of being on Red Road is asked to contact Deputy Ryan Barkley at 704-216-8700.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• A woman reported on Monday someone attempted to break into her property in the 3000 block of East Ridge Road.
• A woman reported on Monday she was the victim of fraud on Jan. 30 in the 6900 block of Beaver Road, Kannapolis.
• A man reported someone broke into and took items from an abandoned home in the 100 block of Clearbrook Drive.
• Bank of America reported on a heating unit was stolen from a foreclosed home in the 300 block of Persimmon Lane.
• A woman reported on Monday a family disturbance occurred in the 1000 block of Chickadee Lane.
• Amber Nicole Turner, 25, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor simple assault while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• David Earl Fox, 49, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor possession of stolen goods in the 3000 block of Artz Road.
In police reports:
• Lynette Chawlk Morris, 48, was charged on Tuesday with plenary proceedings for contempt regarding a 2014 case at Henderson High School.
• Teresa Renee Smith, 38, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault regarding a 2011 case in the 100 block of East Liberty Street.
• John Wayne Gray, 42, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor drug possession in the 1500 block of East Innes Street.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.