Area Athletes Update: Wike has best game
College basketball update …
Karleigh Wike (East Rowan) scored eight points in 11 minutes of action as Richmond (12-7) beat UMass 64-44 Saturday.
The freshman has played in 16 games and has scored 21 points for the Spiders.
• Kennesaw State’s Kelly Dulkoski (Carson) made six 3-pointers in losses to Stetson and Florida Gulf Coast last week.
Dulkoski had made 14 3-pointers in her last six games and shooting 36 percent from 3-point range for the season.
Kennesaw State is 13-7.
• Morehead State’s Shay Steele (West Rowan) scored points in Saturday’s 72-64 loss to Jacksonville State. Steele scored 10 points on Monday in a 64-54 win against Tennessee Tech. She averages 13.9 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game.
Morehead State is 9-12.
• Radford’s Ayana Avery (West Rowan) is averaging 10.7 points and is shooting 37.1 percent on 3-pointers.
• Columbia’s Alison Sobataka (West Rowan) made three 3-pointers in an 80-56 loss to Reinhardt on Saturday.
• Charlotte’s Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) had seven points and five rebounds and Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) had four assists in an 84-54 loss to Middle Tennessee on Saturday.
The 49ers are 7-12.
• Fayetteville State’s Doreen Richardson (Salisbury) had six points and four assists in Saturday’s 57-52 loss to Winston-Salem State.
The Broncos are 7-11.
• Gardner-Webb’s Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) had 19 points and eight rebounds last Tuesday in a 72-57 loss to High Point.
Gardner-Webb returns to action Tuesday against Radford.
Surging Brevard surprised Wingate 76-73 on Saturday and has won three straight SAC games. Darius Moose (Carson) had 11 points and five rebounds for the Tornados (8-10).
• Keshun Sherrill (West Rowan) had another sensational game for GRU Augusta (14-5) on Saturday.
Sherrill had 20 points, six assists, five rebounds and zero turnovers in 38 minutes in an 85-78 win against Flagler.
Sherrill shot 8-for-13 from the floor.
• Mars Hill’s Isaiah Cuthbertson (West Rowan) contributed nine points and 11 rebounds to Saturday’s 66-56 SAC victory against Lenoir-Rhyne.
Mars Hill is 8-10.
• Roanoke’s Alex Weant(Salisbury) went 7-for-8 from the foul line and scored nine points in Saturday’s 88-71 win against Bridgewater.
Roanoke is 7-10.
• Davis Absher (Davie) made his only field-goal attempt in Averett’s 73-67 win against Piedmont on Sunday.
Averett is 11-6.
• N.C. State’s Martin twins are contributing quite a bit as freshmen. Cody (4.2 ppg.) and Caleb (5.6 ppg.) played at Davie through their junior seasons.
N.C. State coach Mark Gottfried gave a shoutout to Davie coach Mike Absher on his radio show. Gottfried called Absher an “outstanding coach” and said that he’d known him 25 years.
Absher’s older son, Drew, who played at VMI, has started his coaching career at Virginia-Wise.