Area Sports Briefs: Moose leads Brevard to upset of Newberry
From staff reports
Darius Moose (Carson) hit six 3-pointers and scored 22 points to help Brevard post a surprising 97-96 home win against 20th-ranked Newberry in SAC basketball on Saturday.
Moose had the assist on a game-winning shot by teammate Phil Wallace and had a season-high six assists and six rebounds.
Newberry is in second place in the SAC, so it was a breakthrough win for the Tornados (6-10, 4-6). Brevard ended a nine-game losing skid against Newberry.
• Former Concord star Jacquise Moore scored 31 points as Lees-McRae beat Pfeiffer 111-101 in three overtimes in Banner Elk on Saturday.
A.J. Clark led the Falcons (6-8, 3-6 Conference Carolinas) with 30 points.
• Nate Jones (Davie) had 25 points and 11 rebounds as Davidson County Community College rolled 104-64 against Thomasville Prep.
• Roanoke’s Alex Weant (Salisbury) had seven points and six rebounds in Saturday’s 101-73 loss to Randolph Macon.
Pfeiffer’s women lost 74-64 to Lees-McRae on Saturday.
Niroska Perez hit five 3-pointers and scored 23 for the Bobcats.
Carter Williams scored 21 and Meg Pritchard had 15 for the Falcons.
• Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) had 10 points and four rebounds in Charlotte’s 62-59 win against Rice on Saturday.
Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) hit a big 3-pointer late in the game for the 49ers. Holmes had seven points and six rebounds.
• Shay Steele (West Rowan) had 14 points, six rebounds and three blocks in Morehead State’s 67-62 win against Eastern Illlinois on Saturday.
• Ayana Avery (West Rowan) hit five 3-pointers and scored 19 points for Radford in a 65-62 overtime loss against Campbell on Saturday.
• Bubbles Phifer (Salisbury) scored 10 points for J.C. Smith in a 59-57 CIAA win against Fayetteville State on Saturday.
Doreen Richardson (Salisbury) scored eight for the Broncos.
• Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) had nine points and six rebounds for Gardner-Webb in Saturday’s 64-55 loss to UNC Asheville.
• Alison Sobataka (West Rowan) scored six points for Columbia in a 79-63 loss to St. Andrews.
Catawba posted wins over visiting Lenoir-Rhyne in both men’s and women’s swimming action on Saturday afternoon at Johnson Pool. The men grabbed a 162-59 victory, winning 12 of 13 events. The women claimed a 160-70 win, taking 11 events.
In ARCA Series open testing at Daytona on Saturday, Daniel Hemric (South Rowan) had the ninth-fastest time of 186.656 mph.
The North Rowan Middle boys finished the regular season with a 47-10 win against Corriher-Lipe and went 14-0.
Dajawon Cook led the Mavericks with 11 points. Logan Stoner had nine points, and Justin McKrimmon added eight.
The conference tournament started at Erwin Saturday and continues Monday.