Blotter: Rowan County man flees license checkpoint, takes authorities on short car chase
Rowan officials said a Rowan County man took them on a short car chase after he took off at a joint agency license checkpoint Tuesday night at the intersection of U.S. 52 and Brown Acres Road. Officials with the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office and Granite Quarry-Faith Joint Police Authority were conducting the checkpoint.
Authorities charged Demond Jaquez Torrence, 23, with misdemeanor fleeing to elude arrest, careless and reckless driving, resist, delay, obstruct an officer; possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.
A report said the chase did not last long and came to an end peacefully. Torrence’s pregnant girlfriend was in the vehicle, but was not charged.
According to a report, Torrence approached the checkpoint at an unusually slow speed, an officer noted. The officer smelled marijuana once the driver reached him.
The driver, later identified as Demond Torrence, initially told the officer he didn’t have any drugs. Then he said, “Yeah, I have a little something.”
Torrence put the car in drive and sped off. He nearly hit the officers in the process, the report said. A Rowan Sheriff’s Office detective was in the area on an unrelated incident and came across the vehicle. He pursued Torrence, as did the other officers. Torrence eventually stopped in Granite Quarry.
When asked why he ran, Torrence told the officers, he knew he had more than an ounce of marijuana. He also said he was trying to get to a place where he could throw the drug out the window, which he managed to do before pulling over.
Officials were not able to locate the marijuana. Torrence has since been released from the Rowan County Detention Center under a $2,500 secured bond.
Torrence has been convicted of misdemeanor possession of marijuana, felony possession of marijuana and misdemeanor maintaining a place for controlled substances.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• Blythe Development reported on Tuesday someone stole batteries from a construction equipment in the 100 block of Webb Road and South Main Street.
• Rushco #18 reported on Tuesday someone stole two beers the day before at 1190 Long Ferry Road.
• A man reported on Tuesday someone stole an ATV from the 200 block of Edmiston Road, Mount Ulla.
• A woman reported on Tuesday someone was using her power without permission in the 1700 block of Old Union Church Road.
• A man reported on Tuesday someone took tools from an outbuilding in the 1400 block of Rockwell Road, Rockwell.
• A man reported on Tuesday items were taken from a building in the 100 block of Whisnant Drive.
• A man reported on Tuesday he was the victim of fraud in the 1400 block of Barger Road.
• Kadett Kirkman Wilson, 39, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor larceny in the 5200 block of Long Ferry Road.
• Christian Aaron Reeves, 23, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor larceny in the 200 block of Hope Lane.
• Kristie Allie Shepherd, 26, was charged on Tuesday with felony larceny in the 800 block of South Jake Alexander Boulevard.
In police reports:
• Andrew Michael Johnson, 23, was charged on Wednesday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana in the 1800 block of West Innes Street.
• Ellis Greg Hunter, 45, was charged on Wednesday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses in the 100 block of East Liberty Street.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.