Area Athletes Update:
Area Athletes Update …
Kevin Parks (West Rowan) finished his career at Virginia in Friday’s 24-20 loss to Virginia Tech. Virginia finished 5-7.
Parks had 21 carries for 79 yards and caught two passes for 13 yards in his final game. Parks had 745 rushing yards this season and moved up from sixth to fifth on Virginia’s career rushing list in his final game. He finished with 3, 219 yards and scored 33 touchdowns.
• Virginia’s Keeon Johnson (A.L. Brown) had two catches for 36 yards in the loss to Virginia Tech. The sophomore, had 13 catches for 138 yards this season.
• Romar Morris (Salisbury) had four carries for 20 yards for bowl-eligible UNC in a 35-7 loss to N.C. State. Morris has carried 65 times for 278 yards this season and has 18 catches for 157 yards. He’s scored four TDs this season and has 13 for his career.
• Lenoir-Rhyne’s Ike Whitaker (Salisbury) ended his career in Saturday’s 23-21 loss to Valdosta State in the Division II playoffs. Whitaker had five carries for 33 yards in his final game. Whitaker was limited by an injury as a senior and had 15 carries for 99 yards this season. He still finished his career as one of L-R’s all-time top 10 rushers with 2,735 yards. He scored 22 TDs.
• Charlotte’s Kalif Phillips (A.L. Brown) finished his sophomore season with outstanding numbers — 229 carries, 1,491 yards and 20 touchdowns.
• Guilford receiver Adam Smith (Davie) was named first team all-conference in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference for the second straight season. Smith had 52 catches for 1,072 yards and 15 touchdowns. He’s ranks third in D-III in touchdown catches. Smith had seven 100-yard receiving games.
• Sophomore Keion Adams (Salisbury) had 11 tackles and four QB hurries this season for bowl-eligible Western Michigan, which finished the regular season 8-4.
• Western Carolina senior Shaun Warren (Carson) finished his career with two catches for 7 yards in the Catamounts’ Nov. 22 loss at Alabama.Warren rushed for 845 yards and scored 11 TDs in his career.
• Averett’s Dontae Gilbert (Carson) and Hobie Proctor (West Rowan) made second team All-USA South. Gilbert, a defensive back, was Averett’s leading tackler with 71 stops. He intercepted four passes, broke up seven, blocked a kick and had two tackles for loss.
Proctor was the punter, placekicker and kickoff man for Averett. He made all-conference as a punter. He averated 36.0 yards with a long of 59. He had 11 punts inside the 20.
Cornerback Jumal Rolle (Catawba) intercepted his third pass of the season for Houston on Sunday, picking off a pass by Tennessee’s Jake Locker early in the game. Rolle has made 14 solo tackles in six games.
Jacksonville’s Chris Smith (West Rowan) wasn’t active Sunday, but he logged a sack against Indianapolis the previous week.
San Francisco’s L.J. McCray (Catawba) plays mostly on special teams and has made five tackles.
Carlos Dixon (South Rowan) is averaging 16.1 points per game in Japan. K.J. Sherrill (West Rowan) is averaging 9.6 points in Germany.
Men’s college basketball
• Keshun Sherrill (West Rowan) had 14 points and six assists for GRU Augusta in Sunday’s 82-75 loss to Mount Olive.The sophomore is averaging a team-high 18.5 points per game and leads the team in assists with 24.
• Brevard’s Darius Moose (Carson) is averaging 20.4 points and 6.2 rebounds after five games.
• Mars Hill’s Isaiah Cuthbertson (West Rowan) is second in the SAC with 10.2 rebounds per game.
Women’s college basketball
• Gardner-Webb’s Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) has reached 20 points two straight games. Heilig had 20 points and 10 rebounds for the Bulldogs in a 65-60 win against Wofford.
• Morehead State sophomore Shay Steele (West Rowan) had 17 points and five blocks in a 61-59 loss to Lipscomb.
• Radford’s Ayana Avery (West Rowan) hit two 3-pointers, scored eight points and had three assists in a 68-67 win at Appalachian State on Sunday.
• Karleigh Wike (East Rowan) scored four points for Richmond in a 74-55 loss to Arkansas.
• Fayetteville State’s Doreen Richardson had 11 points and six rebounds in a 71-65 win against Francis Marion.
• Alison Sobataka (West Rowan) scored five points as Columbia nipped Milligan 68-66.
• Ashia Holmes (Salisbury) dished out seven assists for Belmon Abbey in a 69-56 win against Lees-McRae.
• Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) and Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) are in the starting lineup for the Charlotte 49ers
From staff reports Catawba baseball coach Jim Gantt announced three early signers, including West Rowan shortstop Jeremy Simpson. Also signing... read more