Area Athletes Update
Area athletes update …
Keshun Sherrill (West Rowan) had a tremendous start to his sophomore season at Georgia Regents with a 37-point outing in a 75-62 win against Anderson on Friday.
Sherrill shot 11-for-18 from the field and 11-for-11 from the foul line. He made four 3-pointers and had four steals.
Sherrill added 18 points, six rebounds and four assists on Saturday as GRU rolled 79-53 against Brevard.
• Brevard’s Darius Moose (Carson) was held to nine points and five rebounds by GRU, but Moose had 23 points on 9-for-13 shooting in a 72-61 loss to Clayton State.
• Mars Hill’s Isaiah Cuthbertson (West Rowan) had 10 points and eight rebounds in an easy win against Belmont Abbey.
Cuthbertson also led the Lions to a 76-55 win against Limestone with 17 points and 15 rebounds.
• Tarleton State’s Teven Jones (A.L. Brown) scored 11 points in a win against New Mexico Highlands and added four in a win against Lubbock Christian. Tarleton State, a D-II school in Texas, is ranked 12th nationally.
• Alex Weant (Salsibury) had eight points and four rebounds as Roanoke opened the season with a loss to Marymount (Va.).
Shay Steele (West Rowan) had 17 points and seven rebounds as Morehead State opened with an 83-66 win against Norfolk State.
Steele, a sophomore, led Morehead State to 79-70 win against George Mason on Sunday. She had 23 points on 10-for-17 shooting and added six rebounds.
• Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) had five assists and Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) had four points as Charlotte won, 79-77, against Liberty.
• Ashia Holmes (Salisbury) had 12 points and eight rebounds as Belmont Abbey beat Coker, 75-72, on Sunday. Charlotte hosts N.C. State on Tuesday.
• Brielle Blaire (North Rowan) scored five points as Virginia Tech rolled, 63-41, against Maryland-Eastern Shore on Sunday.
• Alison Sobataka (West Rowan) hit a 3-pointer for Columbia in a loss to Savannah State.
• Kelly Dulkoski (Carson) made a 3-pointer for Kennesaw State in a 68-61 win against College of Charleston.
• Ayana Avery (West Rowan) made a 3-pointer for Radford in a 74-47 loss to Virginia on Sunday. Avery also had three assists.
Charleston’s John Knox (Salisbury) had two rushing touchdowns and a receiving touchdown in a 69-34 rout of Urbana on Saturday. Knox also completed a 12-yard pass on his only attempt.
Fullback Ike Whitaker (Salisbury) was one of the seniors Lenoir-Rhyne honored on the Jumbotron at Moretz Field prior to Saturday’s 27-21 Senior Day win against Catawba. Whitaker had three fine seasons for the Bears and is one of the program’s all-time top-10 rushers with more than 2,600 yards and has earned All-America accolades.
• For Catawba, Jamal Lackey (Davie) returned from an injury and made seven tackles, while Mark McDaniel (South Rowan) had five stops. McDaniel had two tackles for loss. Trey Mashore (West Rowan) played his final game for the Indians and had 54 hard-earned yards on kickoff returns.
• Logan Stoodley (West Rowan) made six tackles for Limestone in a loss to UNC Pembroke. UNCP’s Cadarreus Mason made two tackles.
• West Liberty’s Quentin Sifford (West Rowan) made two tackles in a 33-27 loss to Notre Dame — the one in Ohio, not the Division I Notre Dame in South Bend.
• Charlotte’s Kalif Phillips (A.L. Brown) rushed 36 times for 173 yards and scored three TDs in a 38-33 win against Wesley.
• Western Carolina’s Shaun Warren (Carson) had four carries for 19 yards and returned four kickoffs for 48 yards in a 42-27 win against VMI.
• South Carolina State’s Javon Hargrave (North Rowan) made two tackles and knocked down a pass in a 24-21 loss to Morgan State.
• Coastal Carolina’s Michael Church (A.L. Brown) was 2-for-2 passing for 21 yards as the Chanticleers rolled against Monmouth. Coastal is now 11-0.
• Western Michigan’ Keion Adams (Salisbury) had a tackle in a 51-7 rout of Eastern Michigan.
• Damien Washington (A.L. Brown) returned two kickoffs for 36 yards in UNC’s comeback win against Pittsburgh.
• In Averett’s 36-28 loss to Greensboro, Hobie Proctor (West Rowan) kicked two PATs, averaged 39.3 yards on punts and handled kickoff duties. Dontae Gilbert (Carson) made four tackles for Averett and broke up a pass.
• Guilford beat Emory & Henry, 52-28, to tie for the Old Dominion Athletic Conference championship. Adam Smith (Davie) had five catches for 58 yards. Jordan Farmer (Davie) had two tackles for loss and forced a fumble.
Jumal Rolle (Catawba) made three solo tackles for Houston in a 23-7 win against Cleveland.
• L.J. McCray (Catawba) made one tackle for San Francisco in a 16-10 win against the New York Giants.
Averett’s Nicole Barringer (South Rowan) was named to the All-South Region team. Barringer, a senior setter, also made all-conference and the USA South all-tournament team. Barringer led the conference with 10.22 sets per set and led Averett with 57 aces.
Mike London: 704-797-4259; twitter.com/mikelondonpost3