Area athletes: Barringer honored by USA South
By Mike London
Averett senior Nicole Barringer (South Rowan) was named the USA South Conference Player of the Week on Monday.
The setter averaged 11.7 assists and 2.6 digs per set as Averett won two of its three games.
In a 3-0 win at Methodist, Barringer had 38 assists, five digs and four kills. In a 3-2 loss to Piedmont, Barringer had 64 assists and 19 digs to go along with five kills and three aces. In a sweep of Ferrum, Barringer had 27 assists, five digs and four kills.
This is the third time in her career that Barringer has been the USA South Player of the Week.
Averett’s Lynsey Corriher (South Rowan) had four kills and two digs in the win against Ferrum.
• Hannah Elmore (Carson) had a career-high 19 kills as Brevard rallied for a 3-2 win against Catawba on Friday. Elmore had 10 kills as Brevard swept Queens on Saturday.
Brevard head coach Kelly Burdeau (West Rowan, Catawba) and assistant Jordan Raye (Catawba) have Brevard (10-8, 4-7) moving up in the SAC.
• Michaela White (Carson) had 17 assists and three digs, but the Charlotte 49ers were swept by Florida International in a Dig Pink game at Halton Arena on Friday.
• Hollins’ Lela Moore (West Rowan) had 18 assists and five digs in a loss to Washington & Lee.
In UNC’s 50-43 loss at Notre Dame on Saturday, Romar Morris (Salisbury) had three receptions for 59 yards, including a 26-yard catch. Morris had one carry for 5 yards.
Damien Washington (A.L. Brown) made a tackle for the Tar Heels.
• Charlotte’s Kalif Phillips (A.L. Brown) rushed 22 times for 164 yards in the 49ers’ 63-56 loss at The Citadel that went two overtimes. Phillips scored his 11th touchdown of the season on a 26-yard run.
• South Carolina State’s Javon Hargrave (North Rowan) made four tackles, including a sack for a loss of 8 yards in Saturday’s 48-35 loss to N.C. Central.
Hargrave has eight sacks and 14 tackles for loss in seven games.
• Virginia was off Saturday and heads to Duke for a key ACC game this weekend. The Duke-Virginia rivalry dates back to 1890.
• Charleston’s John Knox (Salisbury) moved to a receiving role on Saturday and had eight catches for 81 yards in a 34-30 loss to Glenville State. Knox caught a 27-yard TD pass to give Charleston a 30-27 lead with 2:15 left, but the Golden Eagles couldn’t hang on.
• In Catawba’s 30-19 loss to Wingate, Jamal Lackey (Davie) made seven tackles. Mark McDaniel (South Rowan) had an interception to stop a Wingate drive and also broke up two passes.
• Quentin Sifford (West Rowan) had two tackles for loss to help West Liberty beat Fairmont 39-16 on homecoming.
• Tusculum’s Emmanuel Gbunblee (West Rowan) had a sack, a fumble recovery and four tackles as the Pioneers surprised Newberry 16-14.
• Limestone’s Logan Stoodley (West Rowan) had four tackles, one for loss, and a fumble recovery in a 47-30 win against Paine.
• UNC Pembroke’s Cadarreus Mason (South Rowan) had three tackles, one for loss, in a 27-6 loss to North Alabama.
• Adam Smith (Davie) had another huge day for Guilford in a 47-31 loss to Shenandoah. The former Davie QB caught five passes for 149 yards. He had scoring receptions of 21 and 64 yards. Smith has 10 TD catches this season.
Carson-Newman’s Tori Gaul (East Rowan) ran 20:34 to pace the Eagles in the Royakl Cross Country Challenge at McAlpine.
Gardner-Webb’s Jake Kennedy (West Rowan) shot 74 on Monday in the first round of the Donald Ross Intercollegiate at Morganton’s Mimosa Hills.
• George Mason’s Eric Edwards (Salisbury) shot 78 on Monday in the first round of the Maryland Terrapin Invitational.
• UNC Greensboro’s Roy Dixon (Salisbury) shot 70-72 — 142 in Monday’s first two rounds of the AutoTrader.com Collegiate Classic in Georgia and is tied for 11th.
• Davidson’s Alex Nianouris (Salisbury) also is competing in the AutoTrader.com Collegiate Classic and shot 73-76 — 149 in the first two rounds.
Mariah Coleman (West Rowan) had an assist for Wingate in a 5-0 win against Coker.