Local Support Groups
Listings based on last best information received. Confirmation recommended before attending.
• Caring for the Caregiver, Alzheimer’s support affiliated with Alzheimer’s Association, 5:30-6:30 p.m. fourth Thursdays (Jan.-Oct.), Rufty Holmes Senior Center, 1120 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. Sara Maloney 704-637-3940.
• Alzheimer’s/other dementias support, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays, Horizon Bay Assisted Living of Concord, 1501 Zion Church Road E., Concord, for families dealing with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. 704-782-1100.
• Autism Society of NC, Rowan chapter, Partners in Learning Child Development Center at Catawba College. Call 704-638-9020 for dates and times of meetings.
• Autism support, 6:30 p.m. first Thursdays, Medical Arts Building classrooms, Carolinas Medical Center-NorthEast, 920 Church St. North, Concord. To support caregivers of children with autism and neuropsychiatric conditions. 704-403-2660 or www.northeastpedsneuro.org.
• Bariatric support, first Tuesdays, 7-8 p.m., classroom A2A of the medical center. Fellowship, nutrition education, exercise, lifestyle changes, behavioral modification. Free. Information Suzie Dinse, RN, 704-210-5474.
• (Cancer support) “Journey,” For cancer survivors or those currently going through this journey or who have in the past. Also for those associated with someone dealing with cancer in order to better relate to issues. Discussion on how to deal with issues of treatment, feelings, pain management, family coping, how to express our needs to others, working and going through cancer, how God promises and provides. Classes held the last Sunday of each month starting 6 p.m. Sept. 28. First Ministry Center, 220 N. Fulton St., room 124; no cost. Register at First Baptist Church Salisbury 704-633-0431.
• Caring Friends grief support for parents who have lost infants. Meets on an as-needed basis. 704-636-7803 or 704-279-6279.
• Cardiac support, 7 p.m. third Tuesdays in Feb., June, Oct. Cardiac Rehabilitation Wellness Center, second floor Kiser Medical Building, Novant Health Rowan Medical Center, 704-210-5412.
• Celebrate Recovery, Christ-centered 12-step program for alcoholism, co-dependency, grief, divorce, sexual abuse, domestic violence,drug, sexual, food, gambling addictions, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Trading Ford Baptist Church worship center, 3600 Long Ferry Road. 704-637-7523 or 704-633-5986.
• Celiac support at Rowan Regional Medical Center. Anna DeBoyace, RD, 704-210-5240.
• Circle of Hope support group for parents grieving the loss of a child, 7-8:30 p.m. second Thursdays, 2290 Statesville Blvd. Lori Yang, 704-630-0319.
• Coping with Grief group support for anyone mourning the loss of a loved one. Call for current schedule. Rowan Regional Hospice, 704 637-7645.
• Denton Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue support, expanded to include all chronic illnesses such as RSD, migraine, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, anyone having to cope with pain in their lives; 6 p.m. first Thursdays, Central UMC, First St. in Denton. Addie Phillips, 336-859-9122, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Diabetes support, 7-8:30 p.m. first Mondays, Faith Baptist Church fellowship hall. Refreshments. Group leader Freda Horne RN, 704-279-2463.
• Diabetes support, Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, noon-1 p.m., fourth Mondays, Burlington Room, Charles Mack Citizens Center, Mooresville. Free, registration not required. Director of Community Outreach, 704-660-4859.
• Domestic violence support for women 18 and older who are or have been in abusive relationships. Call 704-636-4718.
• Epilepsy support of Rowan/Cabarrus, 7 p.m. second Tuesdays at NorthEast Medical Center, Concord. Sarah Powers, 704-403-1986, Sarah.Powers@carolinashealthcare.org or Carole Young, 704-639-0847, youngcarole@hotmail. com
• God’s Special Angels, support for families with children with Down syndrome, meets periodically at Partners in Learning Child Development and Family Resource Center, at Catawba College, 2300 W. Innes St. email email@example.com or 704-68-9020.
• GriefShare, Monday 6-8 p.m. Feb.17-May 19 2014, Central Baptist Church, 1810 Moose Road, Kannapolis. 704-467-2795.
• HERO support group for children ages 5-12 who have witnessed domestic violence, 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays; 5-6:30 p.m. Thursdays. Call 704-636-4718.
• Incest/rape survivors support, 5:30 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays. Call Family Crisis Council, 704-636-4718.
• John Miller colon cancer support, lunch at noon, third Thursdays, Farmhouse Restaurant, Jake Alexander Blvd. Eva White, 704-212-2362.
• Living In Pink breast cancer support, 6 p.m. first Wednesdays except July, Novant Health: Rowan Medical Center large conference room. Vicki Rhyne 704-640-8088, Jennifer Overcash 704-855-3372, Rebecca H. Smith 704-210-6870.
• Multiple Sclerosis self-help support, “Our Inspiration,” for those newly diagnosed and/or with Multiple Sclerosis meets 6:30 p.m. second Mondays except June-July-Aug. J.F. Hurley YMCA, Jake Alexander Blvd., Salisbury. 704-798-3341, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Multiple Myeloma support of Salisbury/Rowan, 10:30 a.m.-noon, second Mondays (beginning Nov. 10), RPL Stanback Room. Conatc Barbara Barbour 704-762-9723 or email@example.com
• NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) for family, friends and individuals suffering with mental illness; with support,education and advocacy. Meet 7 p.m., first and third Tuesdays, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 1908 Statesville Blvd., pull around back. Peggy Mangold, 704-640-8811, firstname.lastname@example.org or Joyce Parra 704-645-1030.
• Narconon, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping those with drug addictions provides addiction help through consultation 8 a.m.-8 p.m. seven days a week. For help, call 1-800-556-8885.
• Narcotics Anonymous:
O=open • C=closed • D=discussion • AF= alternating format • WA or 1/2WA=wheelchair accessible • CL=candlelight meeting • BS=basic text study • LS=literature study • All meetings are nonsmoking
—Sunday: 6:30 p.m., Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA.
—Monday: Noon, Omega Group step study, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • 7:30 p.m. Happy Joyous & Free, First United Methodist Church, 209 E. Mill St., Landis, OD WA.
—Tuesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St., Kannapolis, AF WA • 6:30 p.m. Omega Group, Gethsemane Baptist Church, 719 Caldwell St., BS WA • 7:30 p.m. Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD BS.
—Wednesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, OD AF WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, Moore’s Chapel, Monroe and Partee streets, OD.
—Thursday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills. LS AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St. Kannapolis, O WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., CD LS WA enter at Boy Scout Hut.
—Friday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA, spiritual discussion • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 131 W. Council St., AF • 8 p.m., Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD AF.
—Saturday: 7 p.m., Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., enter at Boy Scout Hut, OD WA .
Narcotics Anonymous Helpline, 704-640-6488.
Alternative: Narconon, 800-431-1754 or DrugAbuseSolution.com
• Overcomers in Christ, Jericho Outreach addiction recovery program, 7 p.m. Mondays, Grace Bible Church, 6725 E. NC 152, Rockwell. 704-279-6820 or Overcomersinchrist@yahoo.com. Also, 7 p.m. Wednesdays, Rockwell Public Library basement. 704-213-6712.
• Overeaters Anonymous Salisbury, 12-step program for those with a problem with food, yo-yo dieting, bingeing, compulsive overeating, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, 1120 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., conference room. Chris, 704-604-0910.
• Parent-to-Parent support for parents of children with disabilities, chronic illnesses, emotional or behavioral challenges and parents of premature infants, through Family Support Network of Southern Piedmont, call 1-800-650-6526 or 704- 788-1616.
• PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays), 10 a.m. third Saturdays, Haven Lutheran Church, 207 W.Harrison St. 704-213-0181 or salisburypflag@ bellsouth.net or email@example.com
• Recovery Anonymous for anyone affected by the disease of chemical dependency, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sundays, Suite 211, Kent Building, 909 S. Main St. 704-637-0052.
• Rowan Brain Injury support, 7 p.m. fourth Thursdays, 108 Dorsett Drive off Statesville Blvd. To support people with acquired brain injury and/or TBI, their families, care givers or anyone interested. Nadine Cherry 980-622-7732, Mary Sechler 704-905-2353, The Arc of Rowan 704-637-1521.
• Rowan Parkinson’s support, 1 p.m., first Tuesdays, First Presbyterian Church, Fisher St. Peggy Wilson, 704-633-3181.
• Rowan Hospice & Palliative CARE, grief support, Monthly, day support groups from 1:30-2:30 p.m. and Spring and Fall, evening 6-week support groups available. Susanna Lund 704-637-7645 or 336-331-1348.
• Salisbury Mothers of Multiples support for families of twins, triplets and more, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays, First UMC, N. Church St. Suzannah Callahan at 704-647-0445.
• Sarcoidosis support, 1-3 p.m. third Saturdays, Rowan Public Library. Share, learn, network for emotional and practical support. Delilah Blackwell, 704-638-0060, 704-797-6692, blackwelldelilah@yahoo. com
• Sexual Assault support group, 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays. Call 704-636-4718.
• Surviving Stroke support, 6:15 p.m. first Thursdays in March, June, Sept., Dec. Diagnostic Imaging and Physical Rehabilitation Center, Division of Novant Health Rowan Medical Center, 514 Corporate Circle. 704-210-6918.
• TOPS means Take Off Pounds Sensibly: Weekly one hour support group meetings, annual cost $28, half price for children 6-18 years and spouses who join together. www.tops.org/ or 1-800-YEA-TOPS. Local contact: Laura Wickwar, 919-621-3613, Laurasgw@gmail.com
Monday: Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 10 a.m. Leader Betty Camerlin 704-856-0205;
Monday: Carillon Assisted Living, 1915 Mooresville Rd., Country Kitchen room, weigh-in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Leader Maggie Musselwhite, 704-754-6158;
Tuesday: 795 Cannon St., Rockwell (fellowship building of Foursquare Church), weigh-in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Leader Denise Jacobs, 704-279-5164, 704-642-6518, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday: Lane Street Baptist Church, 2532 Lane St., Kannapolis, weigh-in 9:30 a.m., meeting 10 a.m. Contact Linda Ramsey, 704-938-3634.
Thursday: Ursinus United Church of Christ, 116 W. Main St., Rockwell, weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m. Mary Coburn, 704-970-7224.
• TLC support for Widows/widowers, third Wednesdays, Powles Funeral Home. Russ Roakes, 704-279-7241.
• Us Too Prostate support, 6 p.m. third Thursdays except July, Novant Health: Rowan Medical Center Clay Classroom. Rebecca H. Smith, 704-210-6870.
To update your information, email email@example.com, or write to Lifestyle, SUPPORT GROUP UPDATE, Salisbury Post, POBox 4639, Salisbury, NC 28144, or call 704-797-4243.
Listings based on last best information received. Confirmation recommended before attending. • Caring for the Caregiver, Alzheimer’s support affiliated with... read more