Sheriff: Woman declares she could not be arrested, is charged with assault
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, September 24, 2014
A Rowan County woman faces assault charges after the driver of a car she was riding in jumped from it and she declared she “couldn’t be arrested,” a report said.
A Rowan County Sheriff’s deputy was traveling Friday behind a vehicle when he ran the registration information and the car alerted it was registered to Trisha Kathleen Bassett, 36, of Happy Lake Road. The deputy was familiar with the woman, but saw the driver of the car was a male. The officer continued to follow the car and it eventually ran off Glover Road. The driver recovered and continued to a slow pace when the officer turned on his lights and siren. The driver suddenly made a turn, a report said, and the driver opened the door and ran, leaving the female passenger behind.
The woman was identified as Bassett who quickly told the officer she could not be arrested. The officer explained to Bassett she was being detained so he could ascertain the identity of the driver.
The officer had to eventually handcuff Bassett because she wouldn’t calm down as the deputy had instructed her to do. She became irate and claimed the officer “felt her up.” The officer told Bassett he was checking her for weapons. She was placed on the ground but still tried to get away.
The report said Bassett kicked the officer in the arm. It took four officers to safely secure Bassett’s feet and place her in the officer’s car.
A K-9 was called in to track the driver, but was unable to locate him.
Bassett was charged with misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer as well as assault on an officer. She told the deputy she knew where he lived and knew his family members and accused the deputy of terrorizing her children during a previous warrant search for a man believed to be the driver. When the deputy got Bassett to the magistrate’s office, a report said she was disrespectful to the magistrate. She was issued a $2,500 secured bond.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• A victim was Friday assaulted in the 2200 block of Jacob Bost Road.
• A woman reported Friday someone stole a license plate from a utility trailer while it was parked in the 500 block of Yates Road.
• A man reported Friday a larceny from a motor vehicle in the 200 block of Geiger Lane.
• A woman reported Friday someone took $500 to $800 from her wallet sometime between Sept. 14 and Thursday in the 200 block of Godbey Road.
• A fugitive warrant out of Mobile, Ala. was served Friday on Kasey Scott Bates in the 6200 block of South Main Street.
• A man reported Friday a breaking and entering in the 300 block of Tanglewood Drive, Kannapolis.
• A woman reported Friday someone took her air conditioning unit in the 100 block of Ashley Drive.
• A woman reported Friday her son physically assaulted her in the 1300 block of Old Beatty Ford Road, China Grove.
• A woman reported Friday a man assaulted he in the 200 block of Elliott Drive.
• A woman reported Saturday a physical assault in the 8900 block of Fisher Road, Rockwell.
• A woman reported Saturday a fraud at Wells Fargo for $530.77 in the 1000 block of East Ridge Road.
• A man reported Saturday a vandalism in the 400 block of old U.S. 801, Gold Hill.
• A woman reported Saturday a larceny from a vehicle in the 2700 block of Old Concord Road.
• A woman reported Saturday an assault in the 1000 block of Archer Acres Drive.
• A man reported Sunday someone took items from his home in the 1000 block of Celestial Drive.
• A man reported Sunday someone took his four-wheeler in the 200 block of Cherokee Lane.
• Michael Dillion Daniels, 20, was charged Friday with misdemeanor reckless driving in the 300 block of Early James Road, Lexington.
• Carlos Artineo Martinez, 41, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault on a child in the 2200 block of Jacob Bost Road.
• Terry Lee Dixon, 46, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon in the 8100 block of Smith Road, Kannapolis.
• Catherine Linn Bryant Greeley, 35, Dean Paul Greeley, 34, were charged Friday with felony breaking and entering in the 6300 block of South Main Street.
• Dennis Athony Burguess, 24, was charged Friday with misdemeanor communicating threats in the 1300 block of Old Beatty Ford Road, Landis.
• Christopher Lamar Harrington, 29, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 200 block of Elliott Drive.
• Desmond Dewayne Toomer, 29, was charged Friday with misdemeanor breaking and entering while at the Rowan Magistrate’s Office.
• Terry Joe Wallace, 65, was charged Friday with felony failure to register as a sex offender in the 500 block of Log Barn Road.
• Robert Scott Swinney, 16, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor assault on a child in the 700 block of Crescent Road, Rockwell.
• Abigail Lopez, 36, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon in the 1000 block of Archer Acres Drive.
• Joshua Bryan Foster, 32, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 3000 block of Stokes Ferry Road.
• Curtis Ryan Linton, 24, was charged Sunday with felony breaking and entering while at the Rowan County courthouse.
• Jeanette Marie Sith, 51, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 400 block of Murray Drive.
In police reports:
• A man reported Monday someone entered his home and ransacked the home in the 900 block of West Cemetery Street.
• Pirhl Inc. reported Monday a burglary in the 400 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• B & J Amoco reported Monday someone fired two shots from an air/gas powered gun damaging a garage bay window in the 1200 block of Statesville Boulevard.
• A man reported Monday someone took his medications sometime between Sept. 17 and Monday in the 200 block of Ridge Avenue.
• A larceny was reported Monday that occurred between Aug. 13 and Sunday in the 300 block of Knollwood Avenue.
• A woman reported Monday a larceny occurred in the 1000 block of East Lafayette Street.
• A man reported Monday a breaking and entering occurred in the 1200 block of West Monroe Street.
• A man reported Monday someone stole a bicycle in the 900 block of Fairmont Avenue.
• A simple physical assault was reported Tuesday in the 400 block of Klumac Road.
• Manuel Ortez, 51, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 200 block of West Harrison and South Jackson streets.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.