Sheriff: Teen convicted of setting fire to storage building removes monitoring device
A Rowan County teen convicted of setting fire to a storage building behind a China Grove retirement center is back in jail, reports said for trying to remove an electronic monitoring device.
Nathan Patrick James Rohl, 19, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor tamper/interfere with electronic monitoring device. He remains in the Rowan County Detention Center under $11,000 secured bond, of which $5,000 is for tampering with the device. He was also charged with four counts of misdemeanor probation violation.
In January, someone spotted Rohl leaving the China Grove Retirement Center, 1114 S. Main St., Officials at the center reported smoke coming from the structure. Fire officials quickly learned a wooden building behind the facility, which was used for storage, was actually on fire.
He was convicted in January and received a split sentence. Rohl served less than a month in the N.C. Department of Corrections and was released a month ago. The remainder of his time was to include probation.
In March 2013, Salisbury Police charged Rohl with taking indecent liberties with a child. The incident occurred in 2012. On Dec. 3, Rohl pleaded guilty to a lesser offense of misdemeanor sexual battery and received an active sentence in the N.C. Department of Corrections. He is expected in court later this month.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• Crowder Construction reported Friday a larceny in the 2500 block of West Innes Street.
• A man reported Friday a burglary in the 600 block of Gaskey Road.
• A man reported Friday a vandalism in the 5200 block of Woodleaf Road.
• Pearl’s Pawn & Gun reported Saturday someone sold stolen property in the 1500 block of North Main Street, China Grove.
• A man reported someone threw a beer bottle at him, it broke inside the truck and he received minor injuries in the 9000 block of Stokes Ferry Road.
• A man reported Saturday a home invasion occurred in the 2300 block of North U.S. 29.
• A man reported Saturday his truck was damaged while he was being assaulted in the 700 block of West Rice Street.
• An intoxicated man went to his girlfriend’s ex-husband’s home to confront him in the 3000 block of Bear Poplar Road, Mount Ulla.
• Christiana Lutheran Church reported Sunday someone took a laptop from the church in the 6100 block of U.S. 52.
• A man reported Sunday items were missing from his carport in the 1400 block of Shive Road.
• A woman reported Sunday a simply physical assault in the 5700 block of South Main Street.
• Robert Keith Moore, 65, was charged Friday with possession of firearm by felon in the 2800 block of Leonard Road.
• Andrew Scott Widenhouse, 19, was charged Friday with misdemeanor possession of controlled substances schedule VI in the 73700 block of northbound Interstate 85 and Julian Road.
• Tonya Denise Clark, 29, was charged Saturday with felony forgery of instrument at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• J.T. Hall, 39, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon in the 700 block of West Rice Street, Landis.
• Brandon Keith Moody, 32, was charged Saturday with felony possession by felon of firearms in the 600 block of West Main Street, Rockwell.
• Joshua Scott Ritchie, 23, was charged Saturday with felony breaking and entering, while at the Rowan County Courthouse.
• Michael Wayne Shoemaker, 31, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor resist, delay, obstruct a public officer in the 3000 block of Bear Poplar Road, Mount Ulla.
• David Alan Huffman, 22, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule IV while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Katerious Arnez Oakes, 25, was charged Sunday with felony breaking and entering buildings while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Matthew Charles Everhart, 29, was charged Sunday with felony larceny in the 400 block of Lee Smith Road, Lexington.
• Lando Carlosian Rankin 32, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 400 block of North Craige Street.
• A woman reported Monday someone went into her home while the family was out of town in the 3300 block of Statesville Boulevard.
• A man reported Monday someone stole his spare tire and rim from his vehicle in the 100 block of Lois Lane.
• A woman reported Monday her vehicle was stolen from the 200 block of Silk and Tassel Road, Cleveland.
• A man reported Monday someone tried to steal his truck in the 500 block of Garrick Road.
• A man reported Monday someone took items from his property Aug. 27 in the 1500 block of Mount Moriah Church Road, China Grove.
• Jeffrey Shuford Williams, 55, was charged Monday with misdemeanor breaking and entering a building, criminal domestic trespass and felony possession of controlled substance on a jail premises. A woman reported Monday her ex-boyfriend was at her house, was told to leave and returned in the 100 block of Maria Lane, Woodleaf. He was found to be concealing marijuana while in the jail.
In police reports:
• Olympic Crown Mini Storage reported Tuesday a truck theft occurred Sunday in the 300 block of Bendix Drive.
• Fairview Heights Baptist Church reported Tuesday someone entered the church sometime between Sunday afternoon and Tuesday morning in the 700 block of Old Concord Road.
• Rent-A-Center reported Tuesday a fraud occurred between June 27 and Tuesday in the 2000 block of Statesville Boulevard.
• A man reported Tuesday he was robbed of $500 while walking on South Lee Street between East Bank and East Fisher streets.
• Jared Jamaal Inglis, 22, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 1300 block of Statesville Boulevard.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.
All it took was a swift snip of a giant pair of scissors to usher in excitement for the Downtown... read more