Man reports girlfriend cashed his unemployment checks while he was in prison
Rowan County investigators say a Rockwell man told them his girlfriend cashed his unemployment checks for nearly six months after he’d canceled upon being incarcerated.
Officials say no arrest has been made, but detectives are looking into the matter.
Colt Yates told investigators on Tuesday his girlfriend collected the checks totaling $4,530 from Aug. 28, 2010, to Jan. 8, 2011.
The report said the girlfriend helped Yates set up the unemployment claim. After Yates was released from prison in April 2014, he saw his wages were being garnished for unpaid taxes. He looked up his record and found 20 added payments. The man told authorities his girlfriend said she used the money for his son, but that she was not the son’s caretaker.
Yates was released from the N.C. Department of Corrections after having served time for a number of offenses including attempted drug trafficking, drug possession and misdemeanor larceny.
In other Rowan Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A man reported Tuesday a larceny from his vehicle in the 6800 block of Woodleaf Road.
• A woman reported Tuesday her house was broken into and money was taken from the 2000 block of Sherwood Street, Kannapolis.
• A man reported Tuesday a larceny of a motor vehicle in the 8900 block of Fisher Road, Rockwell.
• A man reported Tuesday someone entered his home, took guns, televisions and other items from the 300 block of Happy Lake Road, Rockwell
• A man reported Tuesday someone tried to break into his home in the 2300 block of East N.C. 152, China Grove.
• A man reported Tuesday a burglary occurred at his home in the 3000 block of East N.C. 152, Salisbury.
• Desmond Jamelle Robbins, 27, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault while at the Rowan County courthouse.
In Salisbury Police Department reports:
• Someone spray-painted the word “pretzel” on the bridge structure of the railroad tracks over Military and South Railroad streets.
• A woman reported Wednesday a burglary in the 200 block of West 12th Street.
• Time Warner Cable reported a vandalism in the 800 block of East Lafayette Street.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.