Police charge man with taking meat from Walmart more than once
Police say a Salisbury man was banned from Walmart after a week of thefts from the store. He was accused of taking meat on several occasions.
Salisbury Police charged Bernard Johnson, 44, of the 10 block of North Arlington Street, with six counts of misdemeanor larceny, two counts of second-degree trespassing and one misdemeanor failure to appear/comply and two counts misdemeanor failure to appear/comply from Cumberland County.
These incidents occurred on July 31, Aug. 5, Aug. 7 and Aug. 9, a report said.
Police were called to the store Saturday night in reference to a larceny in progress. Store personnel recognized the man and told police his name. Store officials said Johnson had been in the store more than once that week and had been taking meat, a report said.
He was accused of placing the meat in a book bag, also taken from the store. He’d just walk out of the store. Authorities said Johnson took three packs of chuck roast valued at more than $16 and a book bag valued at $14.
Law enforcement knew where Johnson lived and he was arrested at his home. He remains in the Rowan County jail under a $6,000 secured bond.
In other police reports:
• A woman reported Friday a burglary attempt in the 400 block of Mahaley Avenue.
• A man reported Friday someone entered a vacant home through an unlocked window in the 1400 block of North Church Street.
• Salisbury Cycle Center reported Friday a stolen truck in the 1500 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A woman reported Friday her home was broken into while she slept in the 1400 block of North Church Street.
• A man reported Friday a larceny in the 600 block of Industrial Avenue.
• Voodoo Ink Tattoo and Piercing Parlor reported Friday a burglary in the 200 block of East Innes Street.
• A woman reported Friday credit card fraud in the 400 block of East Liberty Street.
• A woman reported Friday someone took her wallet from her while at Walmart.
• A woman reported Friday a road rage incident at the intersection of North Jake Alexander Boulevard and Woodleaf Road.
• A man reported Saturday a credit card was stolen in the 1400 block of West Horah Street.
• A man reported Saturday a vehicle theft in the 400 block of East Liberty Street.
• A woman reported Saturday her wallet was taken from her vehicle in the 100 block of Clancy Street.
• A woman reported Saturday someone attempted to break into her home by kicking her front door in the 100 block of Ferndale Drive.
• A woman reported Saturday someone keyed her vehicle in the 800 block of South Main Street.
• The city of Salisbury reported Sunday a vandalism in the 700 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue.
• A man reported Sunday an attempted robbery in the 600 block of South Jackson and West Thomas streets.
• Three men were involved in a fight Sunday inside a business in the 500 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A man reported Sunday a larceny from a vehicle in the 800 block of East Innes Street.
• Nathaniel Archibald Carter, 38, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 100 block of East Kerr Street.
• Fabiola Morales Hernandez, 21, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 800 block of South Main Street.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.