‘Sophisticated growing operation’ for marijuana found on Poole Road
Rowan Sheriff’s investigators say someone rented a Poole Road home and set up an elaborate marijuana growing operation, causing over $25,000 in damages to the home.
The homeowner contacted authorities about the discovery earlier this week.
The home was rented to someone in September and the person vacated the home July 5, said Chief Deputy David Ramsey. Authorities have not located the renter.
What was an obvious marijuana operation in an upstairs bedroom had been removed, Ramsey said.
The heating and cooling system had been reconfigured to ensure the marijuana plants wouldn’t die, he said.
There was damage to the ventilation system and water damage to the air conditioning unit. Investigators found 43 eye hooks in the ceiling, which officials said was likely used to dry marijuana buds. Investigators found potting soil on the steps leading to an upstairs bedroom and an irrigation system had also been installed in the bedroom. There were numerous holes in the room for ventilation.
“It was a very sophisticated growing operation,” Ramsey said.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported Tuesday a larceny in the 200 block of Silver Trail, China Grove.
• A man reported Tuesday air conditioning coils and piping were stolen from the 200 block of Haven Trail, China Grove.
• Shawana Yasheka Currence, 35, was charged Tuesday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses, Rowan County Courthouse.
• Allen Martin Ruiz, 17, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault, Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
In police reports:
• A woman reported Tuesday a burglary occurred between Monday and Tuesday in the 900 block of Sidney Drive.
• Justin Ray Merritt, 23, was charged Tuesday with felony possession of a firearm by a felon in the 1000 block of West Innes Street.
• Trent Andrew Smith, 35, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 2100 block of North Jake Alexander Boulevard.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.
Annakay Edwards, former Miss Livingstone College and a 2014 honors graduate, has been nominated for the 2014 NCAA Woman of... read more