Area Sports Briefs
Southern Rowan got seven strong innings on the mound from Dillon Atwell and beat Concord 10-4 for a divisional win on Monday at the South diamond.
Southern (5-9, 2-2) jumped out to an 8-0 lead after three innings. Atwell struck out six and threw first-pitch strikes to 23 hitters. Atwell (1-0) is headed to Catawba Valley Community College.
Dylan Carpenter and Chase Labbe had three hits each for Southern. Carpenter drove in four runs for the second straight day. Colton Laws drove in two.
Nick Coble had five of Concord’s 14 hits.
Concord fell to 7-10 and is 1-4 in the division.
Concord 000 110 011 — 4
Southern 413 001 10x — 10
WP — Atwell (1-0)
The alumni basketball tournament will be revived in late July.
The “Run It Down” Tournament will include men and women’s teams representing area schools and will be held July 25, 26 and 27 at the North Rowan High gym.
Games will start at 6 p.m. on July 25.
The event also will include a youth basketball clinic on July 25 for boys and girls,ages 5-13.
China Grove businessman/basketball player Stephen Heggins is heading the event. Contact Heggins at 704-224-7647.
Matt Hardman and Ryan Honeycutt shot 66s to lead qualifying for the Rowan Masters at Warrior.
Hardman is the No. 2 seed, while Honeycutt is No. 3.
Defending champ Phil Miller is seeded No. 1
Jared Barnette and Andrew Morgan shot 70s.
Match play is set for June 27-29.
A.L. Brown’s Kaylee Cook and Kelly Chrismon and West Rowan catcher Marissa Yow were part of the Region 6 team that finished second in the State Games.
John Owen’s pitching led Rowan County to a 4-2 win against West Rowan on Monday.
• Tyler Hendley went 5-for-5, but the Kannapolis Reds lost to Lake Norman 10-8. Jackson Aldridge, Lane Thomas Watson, John Brosnahan and Matt Baucom had two hits each.
• Casey Ritchie knocked in three runs to lead the Kannapolis Jr. O’s to a 9-1 win against the Reds.
• Carson won two against West Rowan by scores of 13-3 (conference) and 12-8. Tanner Christy won the opener.
Nick Lomascolo (Catawba) had a sharp relief outing for the State College Spikes in the New York-Penn League on Saturday. Lomascolo pitched three scoreless innings with one hit and two strikeouts.
• Paul Kronenfeld (Catawba) is still looking for his first hit for the Reds in the Arizona Rookie League. Kronenfeld is 0-for-8.
• Chris Dula (Catawba) has pitched once in relief for Spokane. Joe Watson (Davie, Catawba) hasn’t made his debut yet with the Rangers of the Arizona Rookie League.
• The Kannapolis Intimidators were held to three hits and lost 2-0 to Hickory on Monday.
Evan Van Hoosier homered for Hickory.
• Joe Watson (Davie, Catawba) made his pro debut in relief on Monday for the Arizona League Rangers. He retired two batters, walked one and was charge with one run.
The 12U East Rowan all-stars play Maiden at 3 on Saturday in the Area 2 WNC Cal Ripken tournament in Statesville.
• The 11U East Rowan all-stars play at 6 on Friday night against China Grove in the Area 3 tournament in Rockwell.
The Area 3 tournament runs Friday through Monday at Rockwell with the championship game set for 6PM Monday.
• The 10U East Rowan all-stars play at 1 on Saturday in the Area 3 tournament against the Surry South/North Stokes winner in Westfield.
• The 9U East Rowan all-stars play Saturday against Yadkin County at 1PM in Statesville in the Area 3 tournament.
• The 8U East Rowan all-stars play Friday at 6PM against Davidson County in Churchland in the Area 3 tournament.
• The 10U East Rowan softball all-stars play Union County at 8PM Thursday in the Babe Ruth Softball Area 4 tournament in Polkton.
• The 8U East Rowan softball all-stars play Union County at 6PM in the Area 4 tournament in Polkton.
Following are the sites and dates for the 21st annual Hoops Unlimited summer basketball camps.
North Stanly Middle School: July 7-10, rising 2nd-5th grade boys and girls and July 14-17, rising 6th-10th grade boys and girls
The cost of the all-day camp is $110, which includes an “all you can eat” lunch. Each camper will also receive a camp water bottle and camp T-shirt. For brochures and information, go to www.hoopsunlimitedcamp.com, or call camp director Rick Roseman at 704-279-7334.
The West Rowan High School Athletic Boosters are now taking renewals for previously held reserved football seats for this comingvarsity football season.
Please contact Jim Haire at email@example.com or 704-202-5628 (after 6 p.m) to renew seats or answer questions in general.
Seats not renewed by July 31, will not be held past that date.
All remaining seats will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning Aug. 1.
ALBEMARLE — Even in the best of times, Rowan County’s American Legion team has historically had trouble winning at Don... read more