Blotter: Police charge man with crack pipe after call about drug activity
Published 12:00 am Saturday, June 21, 2014
Police charged a Salisbury man with having a crack pipe after receiving a phone call about possible drug activity at Tar Branch Park Thursday afternoon.
Members of the Salisbury Police Department’s Police Interdiction Team went to the park at 505 East Liberty St., but did not find anyone there. Police did find Shawn Dale Jones walking on nearby Shaver Street. An officer asked Jones if he had any illegal substances on him and he said he had a “stem,” or crack pipe, on him. The officer searched and found a metal pipe converted into a smoking pipe in his front pocket.
Jones, 37, of the streets of Salisbury, was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.
Police found Michael Eugene Daniels, 55, at the park and charged him with misdemeanor second-degree trespass. Officials said he’d been banned from the park.
Both men were issued a $400 bond. Daniels has since been released and Jones remains in the Rowan County Detention Center.
Jones has been convicted of exploiting an elder or disabled person, larceny, possession of drug paraphernalia, communicating threats, resisting arrest, driving while license revoked, carrying a concealed weapon, assault with a deadly weapon and trespassing.
Daniels has been convicted of larceny, attempted robbery, assault on a female, breaking and entering, habitual felon, shoplifting, possession of stolen goods, simple assault, drunk and disorderly, driving while impaired.
In other police reports:
• A man reported Thursday someone obtained methadone pills April 11 using a forged prescription at a Food Lion pharmacy, 524 West Jake Alexander Blvd.
• A woman reported Thursday someone stole a briefcase from her vehicle in the 2600 block of Potneck Road.
• A man reported Thursday someone stole items from a building in the 400 block of Best Street.
• A woman reported Thursday someone broke into a building in the 600 block of West Council Street.
• A man reported Thursday an attempted burglary in the 300 block of South Link Avenue.
• Lester Cisel Carlos, 31, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 900 block of Old Plank and Wilson roads.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported Wednesday a larceny in the 400 block of Cantiberry Drive.
• A woman reported Wednesday a breaking and entering occurred in the 100 block of Chandler Road.
• A woman reported Wednesday she was scammed out of $500 after trying to purchase a puppy online in the 100 block of Remington Drive.
• A woman reported Wednesday her home was broken into in the 1200 block of Hildebrand Road.
• A woman reported Wednesday an assault occurred in the 8600 block of U.S. 52, Rockwell.
• A woman reported Wednesday a vandalism in the 9900 block of Cool Springs Road, Woodleaf.
• A man reported a vandalism occurred in the 300 block of Brown Road, China Grove.
• A man reported Wednesday someone stole an HVAC unit sometime between Monday afternoon and Tuesday in the 1100 block of Barringer Road.
• Michelle Anne Gaines, 52, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer and misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule IV after officials responded to a domestic disturbance in the 1400 block of Dunn’s Mountain Road.
• Paul Leveren Davis, 33, was charged Wednesday with felony breaking and entering buildings in the 100 block of Knoll View Drive.
Contact reporter Shavonne Potts at 704-797-4253.