Week in review: Test your nose for news
1. The Quality Inn of Salisbury has been delinquent in paying its occupancy tax proceeds to Rowan County and the city of Salisbury. What is the occupancy tax charged by hotels in Salisbury?
A. 4 percent
B. 6 percent
C. 8 percent
D. 10 percent
2. Ed and Paul Brown have restored an 1887 calliope found many years ago by former Rowan County Parks and Recreation Director Jim Foltz. Where did Foltz come across the neglected calliope?
A. China Grove
3. Every night since 2010, the shelter at Rowan Helping Ministries has had to do what?
A. House at least one child
B. Turn away at least one person for being intoxicated.
C. Call the police at least once
D. Provide meals for more than 100 people
4. Rajive Patel, former mayor of East Spencer, is among seven Democrats vying for what elective office?
A. U.S. House, 5th District
B. U.S. House, 12th District
C. Rowan County District Court judge
D. Rowan County clerk of court
5. The N.C. Highway Patrol’s special, weeklong effort to catch excessive speeders was called what?
A. Wise Up, Slow Down
B. Operation Slow Down
C. Operation Ease Up!
D. Slow Down, You’re Moving Too Fast
6. South Rowan High graduate Dempsey Gibson has rented the Gem Theatre in Kannapolis for a May 28 premiere party. Premiere party for what?
A. His new video game
B. His documentary, “The Way We Weren’t”
C. His indie movie, “Last Shot at Glory”
D. His television series, “The Dearly Departed”
7. Members of the NAACP and residents of the West End showed up at Salisbury City Council’s meeting Tuesday and asked for what?
A. Better code enforcement for neglected properties in the West End
B. Better efforts to end gun violence in the community
C. A liaison between the West End and City Council
D. All of the above
8. Residents from the Rosemont neighborhood of Salisbury object to a proposed 80-unit apartment complex, Abbington Court, which would back up to their properties. In response, Salisbury City Council did what?
A. Accepted the Planning Board recommendation in favor of Abbington Court
B. Tabled the project to give the city time to study the need for another tax credit-financed housing development
C. Reduced the size of Abbington Court from four campus-styled apartment buildings to three
D. Decided to require a fence between Rosemont and Abbington Court
9. In advance of the May 6 primaries, how many Rowan County voters changed their party affiliation from Democrat or Republican to unaffiliated?
10. Raymond Coltrain made Rowan County history by becoming the first person to gather the 4,000 signatures of registered voters necessary to become an unaffiliated candidate for county commissioner on the November ballot. Who are the two other people trying to do the same?
A. Craig Pierce and Leda Belk
B. Chad Mitchell and Jon Barber
C. Steve Blount and Terry Osborne
D. Gene Miller and Chris Cohen