SR’s Richards among leaders
Three local junior golfers are playing in the Carolinas Golf Association’s Jimmy Anderson Invitational Tournament at the Jacksonville Country Club.
South Rowan junior Davis Richards is tied for second overall after shooting 1-under 34-37 — 71 in the first round.
East Rowan sophomore Logan Shuping is tied for 34th in the 16-18 division after shooting 38-40 — 78.
Michael Childress, a Sacred Heart eighth-grader, is competing in the 13-15 division and shot 41-39 — 80 in the first round. He’s tied for ninth.
The final round is today.
Greenville pitchers struck out 13 Kannapolis hitters and beat the Intimidators 8-2 at CMC-NorthEast Stadium on Saturday.
Pat Light fanned 10 in six innings for the Boston farm club.
Zach Voight and Jeremy Dowdy had two hits each for the Intimidators (1-2).
The teams meet against today at 5:05 p.m.
• Jerry Sands (Catawba) doubled and scored the only run for Durham in a 4-1 loss to the Gwinnett Braves on Saturday.
UNC’s Brett Huffman (West Rowan) had two hits and drove in a run in a 9-6 win against Wingate on Saturday.
Davie rolled to a 15-1 win against Asheville A.C. Reynolds on Saturday at Rich Park.
Ross Hoffner had four hits and scored three runs. Elijah Jones pitched six strong innings.
• In South Rowan’s 10-6 loss at Central Cabarrus on Friday, Tyler Fuller and Austin Corriher had two hits each. Corriher had a triple. Kyle Labbe doubled. Matt Honeycutt and Eric Stowe drove in runs.
Corriher (1-2) took the loss.
• The Greater Cabarrus Homeschool Stallions split a doubleheader with Triad Homeschool.
In a 4-2 victory, Caleb Threadgill and Dalton Lankford and Noah Jarrett had two hits each.
Hunter Shepherd doubled. Jarrett was the winning pitcher.
• In an 8-7 loss, Threadgill, Lankford, Tyler Hartsell and Travis Cone had two hits each for the Stallions (10-1). Shepherd doubled.
• Correction: Henderson Lentz had the save in North Rowan’s 3-2 win against West Davidson on Friday.
Catawba has announce four more football recruits, including quarterbacks Alex Thornton (Robinson) and Kyle Duiett (Hough).
Also signing were Cary Panther Creek defensive back Alex Slusser and Garner defensive lineman Terry Whitehead.
• Catawba’s tennis teams lost to Anderson on Friday. The Catawba women (11-13, 3-7) lost 5-4, while the Catawba men (8-15, 1-9) lost 7-2.
• Coker scored the first seven goals and held off Catawba’s men’s lacrosse team 11-7 on Saturday in Hartsville, S.C. Pete Wessleman made 11 saves for the Indians (6-6, 4-2), Davis Hughes scored twice for the Indians.
• Catawba’s softball team lost 3-2 and 1-0 at Anderson on Saturday.
Holli Chandler homered in the opener for Catawba (22-13, 7-7). Carley Tysinger drove in a run and struck out eight but took the loss.
Caroline Turner pitched well in the nightcap for the Indians, but Lauren Rudesheim threw a three-hitter for Anderson (31-9, 9-5).
• Meredith Jones scored in overtime to lift Catawba’s women’s soccer team to an 11-10 win at Coker on Saturday.
Catawba (6-6, 3-1) got three goals each from Jones, Ebony Mills and Alyssa Corace. Bethany Davis made 17 saves.