Authorities charge woman with taking items from Walmart, returning for gift cards
A woman who police say stole $145 worth of merchandise from Walmart and gave it to a man to return them for a gift card is in custody.
Sasha Cherie Rippey, 23, is charged with misdemeanor larceny and felony obtaining property by false pretenses. She remained in the Rowan County Detention Center on Tuesday under a $7,500 secured bond.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office arrested Rippey on Sunday. The same day, Salisbury Police arrested and charged Russell Lee Samples with misdemeanor larceny and felony obtaining property by false pretenses.
Authorities say Rippey went inside Walmart on Feb. 19 as though she would make a purchase. She went into the linen department and picked up sheet sets and pillow cases. She placed the items in her cart and moved to the housewares department.
Investigators say Rippey got some Walmart bags, placed the items inside and then walked out of the store. Police say she got into a waiting white pickup Chevrolet pickup.
The driver, later identified as Russell Samples, circled the parking lot and went inside the store. He used his ID to make a return of the stolen items, a report said. The store issued him two gift cards.
In other Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A man reported Friday someone took scrap metal from his property in the 300 block of Long Bow Road between midnight Thursday and noon Friday.
• A woman reported Friday someone had fired gunshots into her home in the 1300 block of Lake Fork Road.
• A woman reported someone broke into her property in the 2400 block of East Ridge Road between 4 p.m. March 23 and Saturday.
• A man reported a larceny Saturday in the 1900 block of Airport Road.
• A man reported a credit card fraud Saturday in the 300 block of Crawford Drive.
• A woman reported Saturday someone damaged her property in the 1000 block of Cornerstone Lane.
• Austin Christopher York, 18, was charged Friday with felony possession with intent to manufacture, sell and deliver a controlled schedule VI substance in the 3000 block of North Jake Alexander Blvd.
• Kasey Fite-Turner, 24, was charged Friday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and Dawn Elizabeth Aistrop, 35, with felony possession of a controlled substance schedule II after officials responded to a domestic dispute in the 1000 block of Lawndale Drive.
• William Arthur, 40, was charged Friday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 10000 block of Cool Springs Road, Woodleaf.
• Chelsie Luann Shuping, 25, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor larceny in the 100 block of West Liberty St.
• Christie Lynn Sloop Senk, 25, was charged Saturday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses in the 100 block of Ashley Drive.
• Walter Chad Smith, 48, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 300 block of Kimball Loop Road, Landis.
• Angela Michelle Schenck, 38, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor violation of school attendance law in the 7500 Spring Acres Drive, Kannapolis.
• Jamika Lucille Palmer, 17, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer in the 700 block of Crescent Road, Rockwell.
• Eddie Talmadge Jenkins, 28, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 700 block of Eastview Road.
• William Covington, 42, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor violation of solid waste ordinance in the 1000 block of Jackson Road.
• Karen Lynn Staton, 45, was charged Sunday with felony kidnapping in the 200 block of N. Main St.
• Dashawn Donte Dorsey, 21, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 900 block of Peeler Road.
• Angel Marie Owens, 26, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor larceny for stealing her mother’s pills in the 400 block of Brook Street.
• Dwayne Bowman, 53, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor tampering with a vehicle in the 300 block of Paige Drive.
In Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A man reported a physical assault Sunday in the 1400 block of Ludwick Heights Lane.
• Southside Christian Academy, 507 Morlan Park Road, reported Monday someone pushed in a window air conditioning unit to gain access into the building sometime between 5:10 p.m. Sunday and 6:42 a.m. Monday.
• A woman reported a fraud Monday that someone committed between March 22 and March 28 in the 300 block of South Arlington Street.
• A man reported a stolen bicycle taken sometime Sunday or Monday in the 700 block of Victory Street.
• A woman reported a fraud Monday in the 1300 block of East Innes Street.
• Realty World reported Monday an air conditioning unit was dismantled and some internal components were missing in the 200 block of North Arlington Street.
• A woman reported Monday an unauthorized person withdrew money from her bank account at the State Employees Credit Union in the 1000 block of Mooresville Road.
• A woman reported a fraud Monday in the 200 block of Admiral Drive.
• A woman reported a burglary Monday in the 200 block of Huntington Drive.
• Antwan Demon House, 33, was charged Monday with misdemeanor larceny in the 300 block of South Arlington Street.
The theme for Melody Moxley’s retirement day from Rowan Public Library was generosity. Again and again, people wishing her well... read more