East Y offering lifeguard class
A lifeguarding class will be held at the Saleeby-Fisher YMCA, East Rowan Branch, starting March 7.
This course has a 300-yard prerequisite swim test. American Red Cross Lifeguard certification is offered upon successful completion of the course. CPR for the professional rescuer and first aid are required and are included in this course. You must attend all classes within a session to complete certification. You may register at the front desk or online. Ages 15 and up.
Session 1: March 7-14
Friday, March 7, 5-6 p.m. prerequisite swim test
Saturday, March 8, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Monday, March 10, 6-9 p.m.
Tuesday, March 11, 6-9 p.m.
Wednesday, March 12, 5-8 p.m.
Thursday, March 13, 6-9 p.m.
Friday, March 14, 5-7 p.m.
Session 2: May 16-23
Friday, May 16, 5-6 p.m., prerequisite swim test
Saturday, May 17, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Monday, May 19, 6-9 p.m.
Tuesday, May 20, 6-9 p.m.
Wednesday, May 21 5-8:00 p.m.
Thursday, May 22, 6-9 p.m.
Friday, May 23, 5-7 p.m.
Cost is $190 for Y members and $220 for potential members. Payment for class is expected at the time of registration. No refunds will be given.
Lifeguarding review class will be Friday, May 2, 5-7 p.m., and Saturday, May 3 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Lifeguard review course requirements
• Candidates must be at least 15 years of age prior to first day of class;
• Must show proof of current lifeguard/first aid/CPR/AED certification (if certification lapsed then applicant must retake lifeguard course and is not eligible for the review course);
• Must meet requirements of prerequisite;
• Attend all class dates and times;
• Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities;
• Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios;
• Correctly answer at least 80 percent of the questions in each of the two sections of the final exam.
Upon successful completion of the lifeguarding course, each participant will receive an American Red Cross Universal Certificate for lifeguard training/first aid/CPR/AED which is valid for two years.
This review course is designed to be a fast-paced class with the understanding that participants will be refreshing/reviewing their skills and knowledge.
Cost is $95 for YMCA members and $110 Potential Member Payment for class is expected at time of registration. No refunds will be given.
Contact Bridget Dexter for more information at 704-279-1742 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Saleeby-Fisher YMCA is at 790 Crescent Road, Rockwell.