Classes, events canceled with storm approaching
Thanks to the winter storm bearing down on the region, local students have today off and other organizations have canceled or postponed planned activities.
The Rowan-Salisbury and Kannapolis City school systems canceled classes today, with an optional workday for teachers in both systems.
Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, Catawba and Livingstone students are also off today.
Salisbury Academy will be closed today and Thursday, while All-Day ASK has been canceled on Friday. The school was already to be closed Monday for President’s Day. North Hills Christian School will dismiss at 11:30 a.m. today and evening activities are canceled.
Check www.salisburypost.com for the latest. Other cancellations and delays reported to the Post by early today include:
• The Novant Health Bariatric Solutions Rowan weight loss seminar to be held tonight at the J.F. Hurley YMCA has been canceled. The next seminar will be held on Wednesday, March 12 at 6 p.m. at J.F. Hurley YMCA. For questions, you may call the practice at 704-638-8631.
• Rowan Helping Ministries will be closing the Crisis Assistance offices at 2 p.m. today.
The shelter will be open 24 hours a day. Shelter guests will be kept indoors out of the elements.
The soup kitchen will be open Thursday for the noon meal.
The Crisis Assistance office will be closed Thursday, but staff will work to assist people later in the week. People needing assistance should call the service provider, such as Duke Energy; Energy United or Piedmont Natural Gas and ask for an extension until normal business hours resume.
• Members of Union Power Cooperative can report their outages by calling 1-800-794-4423. Union Power Cooperative is a member-owned electric cooperative, which provides electric service to more than 69,000 member accounts in Union, Stanly, Mecklenburg, Cabarrus and Rowan counties.
• Some of the outpatient clinics operated by the Salisbury Hefner VAMC are closed today. Staff is contacting patients with appointments to reschedule at the earliest opportunity.
The Salisbury VA Medical Center emergency department will remain fully operational. Veterans experiencing an emergency outside of the Salisbury area are urged to call 911 or report to the nearest emergency department. The following is a list of current closures:
The Charlotte Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) is closed today, Feb 12.
The Hickory Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) is closed today.
VA leadership is monitoring the situation and will change plans as necessary for the safety of patients and staff. The outpatient clinics at the Salisbury VA Medical Center and Winston-Salem Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) are operating under a normal schedule. Updates to Salisbury VA facility operations are available at: www.salisbury.va.gov.
• All non-essential city operations are closed including all recreation centers. City bus service will not operate. Public safety and public service operations will continue. City crews will clear roads.
Salisbury Police Department is advising residents to stay home and travel only if necessary.
• The Salisbury City Council’s annual retreat, which had been scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday at the Rowan Museum has been canceled. The retreat will be rescheduled for a later date, the city said.
• Saleeby-Fisher YMCA, East Rowan Branch will be closed today.
• J.F. Hurley Family YMCA, Salisbury Branch will be closed today.
• J. Fred Corriher Jr. YMCA, South Rowan Branch will be closed today.
• Rufty-Holmes Senior Center and all Lunch Club sites will be closed today.
• Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 1908 Statesville Blvd. has canceled its Wednesday evening Bible study.
• Ardis Chapel AME Zion Church, 1940 Old Mocksville Road, Bible study scheduled for tonight has been canceled.
• Cedar Grove AME Zion Church, Cleveland, Bible study, Children and Youth Practice has been cancelled for tonight.
• The Salisbury Rotary Club has rescheduled tonight’s producer night at Piedmont Players Theater to Feb. 19 at 6 p.m.
• The chamber’s Women in Business event scheduled for tonight at Salisbury Salon & Spa will be rescheduled at a later date.
• Salisbury Woman’s Club meeting set for 11:30 a.m. today is canceled.
• All Cabarrus County transportation services, including to dialysis appointments, are suspended today, as are Cabarrus Links services. All Cabarrus LunchPlus meal sites, classes at the Cabarrus Senior Center and parks, and youth basketball practices and games that are part of the Active Living and Parks Department are canceled.
• Amtrak is suspending the following services today: The Silver Service Train 91 and 98; The Palmetto Train 89 and 90; Auto Train 52 and 53; and Carolinian 79 and 80. Passengers with travel plans are encouraged to plan ahead and make any necessary reservation changes in advance. Tools are available to assist with travel planning including Amtrak.com (including the interactive train tracker map), the Amtrak smartphone app and 1-800-USA-RAIL.
• The Center for the Environment at Catawba College has cancelled Thursday’s EnviroMingle at Cougar Run Winery in Concord. It has been rescheduled for 6-8 p.m. on March 4. To register online for the rescheduled event, visit www.CenterForTheEnvironment.org .
• The Cooperative Christian Ministry Crisis Center will be closed Thursday. The Talk n’ Tour events scheduled for tonight and Thursday have been cancelled. The next Talk n’ Tour events will be held March 4 at 6 p.m., and March 5 at 2 p.m.
• If the Rowan-Salisbury School System cancels classes Thursday, Communities In Schools of Rowan County will cancel volunteer training for that day and reschedule it for Feb. 25 at 9 a.m.
• Horizons Unlimited has canceled its planetarium show, “Sunlight and Shadows,” scheduled for Saturday.
Send information about cancellations and delays to email@example.com
SALISBURY — When Dr. Henry B. Waiters arrived at Scott Air Force Base in 1949, he was a young Southerner... read more