Area Sports Briefs
No prep sports involving Rowan County teams were played on Tuesday because of weather concerns, but some basketball games will be made up tonight.
Cox Mill will play at West Rowan. The boys teams are tied for second place in the SPC with 4-2 records, although the Falcons have dropped their last two.
In another makeup, Hickory Ridge will play at Carson.
Carson senior guard Tre Williams has 995 career points entering the contest.
Carson has had two 1,000-point boys scorers in its history — Darius Moose and Nick Houston — but that total is about to double. Senior Colton Laws has 962 points and could reach the milestone as early as Friday.
East Rowan senior Karleigh Wike also is closing in on 1,000. Wike has 976 points. East returns to action at South Rowan on Friday.
Salisbury is at South Rowan tonight in a scheduled non-conference game.
Davie County split a CPC hoops doubleheader at Parkland on Tuesday. Davie’s boys lost 86-73 despite 23 points by Peyton Sell, who hit three 3-pointers, and a career-best 17 by Holden Poole. Blaise Bennett scored 12, and Jordan McDaniel added 10.
DAVIE (73) — Sell 23, Poole 17, Bennett 12, McDaniel 10, Starnes 7, Cunningham 2, Slabach 2, Calamarino, Miller.
PARKLAND (86) — K. Hardin 16, Starnes 11, Bryann 10, D. Hardin 10, Beatty 10, Maddox 9, Wilborn 6, Davis 5, Johnson 4, Joyner 3, Middleton 2.
Davie 18 17 14 24 — 73
Parkland 25 18 21 22 — 86
• Davie’s girls routed Parkland 69-16.
• Davie’s JV girls romped over Parkland 50-14, with Jessie Beck and Cameron Tabor scoring 11 points each.
• A.L. Brown’s girls lost 76-47 to Hough in MECKA action in Cornelius on Tuesday despite 19 points by Aitana Grant. Talethia Alexander hit four 3-pointers for the Wonders.
• A.L. Brown’s boys lost 73-38 to Hough.
Catawba’s basketball teams are home tonight against SAC opponent Newberry (6-4, 2-4) The doubleheader starts at 6 p.m. with the women’s game.
Catawba’s women (7-3, 5-1) are tied for first. Catawba’s Mallary Clay is shooting 93.5 percent from the foul line (29-for-31). Chloe Bully has 150 career 3-pointers.
• The men’s game features the return of longtime Pfeiffer coach Dave Davis to the area as head coach of the Wolves. Newberry (8-2, 4-2) beat Catawba 99-86 at home on Nov. 26.
Catawba’s men (2-8, 2-4) are led by Kijuan Arrington. He averages 17.9 points per game for the Indians.
Led by 6-foot-8 Tyrece Little, Catawba is the SAC’s top shot-blocking team.
• Livingstone’s Cierra York was named CIAA Player of the Week for women’s basketball. York averaged 19.5 points in two games.
Olivia Gabriel scored 19 points as Southeast’s girls beat Erwin 49-26. Maren Shumaker scored 15 points for the Patriots, and Alexandra Linder had eight.