If your information needs to be updated, email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org with SUPPORT GROUP UPDATE in the subject line, or write to Lifestyle, SUPPORT GROUP UPDATE, Salisbury Post, POBox 4639, Salisbury, NC 28144, or call 704-797-4243.
• Alzheimer’s Association, Rowan County Western Chapter, monthly Jan.-Nov.; second Monday meetings for 2013 are two-part: 5-5:45 p.m. Workshop/Education; and 6-7 p.m. Care and Share Support. At Trinity Oaks chapel, 820 Klumac Road. Questions: Becky Norman, 704-603-2756.
• Alzheimer’s/other dementias support group, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays, Horizon Bay Assisted Living of Concord, 1501 Zion Church Road East, Concord, for families dealing with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. Information 704-782-1100.
• Alzheimer’s Family Support Group, 12:15-1:15 p.m., third Tuesdays, at Home Instead Senior Care, 1839 Jake Alexander Blvd. W, Suite A., Salisbury. Topic of discussion varies based on the wants/needs of those in attendance. Facilitator, Robin Scharding. Affiliated with Western Carolina Chapter of Alzheimer’s Association. Meeting information contact Robin, 704-636-2010. Alzheimer’s Association, 1-800-888-6671.
• Autism Society of NC, Rowan chapter, Partners in Learning Child Development Center at Catawba College. Call 704-638-9020 for dates and times of meetings.
• Autism support group, 6:30 p.m. first Thursdays, Medical Arts Building classrooms, Carolinas Medical Center-NorthEast, 920 Church St. North, Concord. To support caregivers of children with autism and neuropsychiatric conditions, provide vital information and practical recommendations. Information 704-403-2660 or www.northeastpedsneuro.org.
• Autism support group Monthly Coffee Break, noon- 1 p.m. fourth Thursdays, Port City Java, 1804 W. Innes St. Learn new information, share experiences and support. Partners in Learning, 704-638-9020.
• Bariatric support group, first Tuesday of every month, 7-8 p.m., classroom A2A of the medical center. Fellowship, nutrition education, exercise, lifestyle changes, behavioral modification along the weight-loss journey for those considering or have undergone weight-loss surgery. Free. Information Suzie Dinse, RN, 704-210-5474.
• Caring Friends grief support group for parents who have lost infants. Meets on an as-needed basis. Information 704-636-7803 or 704-279-6279.
• Cardiac support group, 7 p.m. third Tuesdays in February, June and October, Cardiac Rehabilitation Wellness Center, second floor Kiser Medical Building, Rowan Regional Medical Center. Information 704-210-5412.
• Celebrate Recovery, a Christ-centered 12-step program for all hurts, habits and hangups, including alcohoaflism; co-dependency; grief; divorce; sexual abuse; domestic violence; and drug, sexual, food and gambling addictions, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Trading Ford Baptist Church worship center, 3600 Long Ferry Road. Information 704-637-7523 or 704-633-5986.
• Celiac support group at Rowan Regional Medical Center. Information Anna DeBoyace, RD, 704-210-5240.
• Circle of Hope support group for parents grieving the loss of a child, 7-8:30 p.m. second Thursdays, 2290 Statesville Boulevard. Information Lori Yang, 704-630-0319.
• Coping with Grief group support for anyone mourning the loss of a loved one. Groups are updated regularly, please call for current schedule. Rowan Regional Hospice, Information 704 637-7645.
• Denton Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue support group, expanded to include all chronic illnesses such as RSD, migraine, Crohn’s disease, diabetes, and anyone having to cope with pain in their lives; 6 p.m. first Thursdays, Central United Methodist Church, bottom floor, First Street in Denton. Addie Phillips, 336-859-9122, email@example.com
• Diabetes support group, RRMC: First Tuesdays at 2 p.m., Education Resource Center, Clay Classroom. Free. To provide support and education for people with diabetes and their families. Registration not necessary, cost of programs provided by RRMC. Information and monthly topic, Diabetes and Nutrition Center, 704-210-5771.
• Diabetes support group, 7-8:30 p.m. first Mondays, Faith Baptist Church fellowship hall. Refreshments. Group leader: Freda Horne RN, 704-279-2463.
• Diabetes support group, Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, noon-1 p.m., fourth Mondays, Burlington Room, Charles Mack Citizens Center, Mooresville. Free, registration not required. Mitzie McCurdy, Director of Community Outreach,704-660-4859.
• Divorce Care and Divorce Care for Kids (ages 5-12), 6:30 p.m., Tuesdays through April 19, 2011, Trinity Wesleyan Church, 2200 Mooresville Road, Salisbury. Information 704-633-2884 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• DivorceCare, Monday 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., cost $13, a special weekly seminar and support group conducted by people who understand the experience of separation and divorce. In DVD-based sessions learn how to deal with the pain of the past and look forward to rebuilding your life. You don’t have to go through it alone-we offer a biblical teaching for recovery. Information 704-633-0431.
• Divorce Care for Kids (DC4K), Mondays 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 North Fulton St., cost $13. Kids need a special group to heal from the hurt caused by the separation and divorce of their parents. In DC4K kids 1-6th grade make friends with others who understand how they feel as they watch videos, do activities, hear music, play games. 704-633-0431.
• Domestic Violence support group for women 18 and older who are or have been in abusive relationships. For information call 704-636-4718.
• God’s Special Angels, support group for families with children with Down syndrome, meets periodically at Partners in Learning Child Development and Family Resource Center, at Catawba College, 2300 W. Innes St. Information email@example.com or 704-68-9020.
• GriefShare, Monday 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., cost $13. When you’ve lost a spouse, child, family member or loved one you’ve probably found out that there are not many people who understand what you are experiencing and want to offer comfort and encouragement during this difficult time using biblical principles. Information 704-633-0431.
• GriefShare, Monday 6-8 p.m. Sept. 9-Dec. 2. 2013, Central Baptist Church, Kannapolis. 704-467-2795.
• HERO support group for children ages 5-12 who have witnessed domestic violence, 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays; 5-6:30 p.m. Thursdays. Information 704-636-4718.
• Hurt, Habits and Hang-ups: Celebrate Recovery, Monday 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., cost: $5. A fellowship that meets to delight in God’s healing power through the 12 steps and the 8 principles of Recovery found in the Beatitudes, sharing experiences, strengths and hope with one another. By working the steps and applying the biblical principles we open ourselves to a new life with a new purpose. Information 704-633-0431.
• Incest/Rape Survivors support group, 5:30 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays. Information Family Crisis Council, 704-636-4718.
• John Miller Colon Cancer support group, lunch at noon, third Thursdays, Farmhouse Restaurant, Jake Alexander Blvd. Information Eva White, 704-212-2362.
• Living in Pink, support and education group for people with breast cancer and survivors of breast cancer, 6 p.m. first Wednesdays, large classroom, Rowan Regional Medical Center’s Tower A. Information Vicki Rhyne, 704-633-7555, 704-640-8088.
• NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) for family, friends and individuals suffering with mental illness; with support,education and advocacy. Meetings 7 p.m., first and third Tuesdays, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 1908 Statesville Blvd., pull around back for parking and meeting. Contact Peggy Mangold, 704-640-8811, firstname.lastname@example.org or Joyce Parra 704-645-1030.
• Multiple Sclerosis self-help support group, “Our Inspiration,” for those newly diagnosed and/or with Multiple Sclerosis will meet at 6:30 p.m. the second Monday of every month. J.F. Hurley YMCA, Jake Alexander Blvd., Salisbury. Information Christine Scotton, scotton1@ windstream.net or 704-798-3341.
• Narconon, nonprofit organization dedicated to helping those with drug addictions provides addiction help through consultation 8 a.m.-8 p.m. seven days a week. For help, call 1-800-556-8885.
• Narcotics Anonymous:
O=open • C=closed • D=discussion • AF= alternating format • WA or 1/2WA=wheelchair accessible • CL=candlelight meeting • BS=basic text study • LS=literature study • All meetings are nonsmoking
—Sunday: 6:30 p.m., Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA.
—Monday: Noon, Omega Group step study, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • 7:30 p.m. Happy Joyous & Free, First United Methodist Church, 209 E. Mill St., Landis, OD WA.
—Tuesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterian Church, 201 Vance St., Kannapolis, AF WA • 6:30 p.m. Omega Group, Gethsemane Baptist Church, 719 Caldwell St., BS WA • 7:30 p.m. Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD BS.
—Wednesday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church,1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, OD AF WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, Moore’s Chapel, Monroe and Partee streets, OD.
—Thursday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills. LS AF WA • Noon, Embracing Reality, First Presbyterain Church, 201 Vance St. Kannapolis, O WA • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., CD LS WA enter at Boy Scout Hut.
—Friday: Noon, Omega Group, Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1920 Shirley Ave., by Salisbury Mall, behind Clancy Hills, AF WA, spiritual discussion • 7 p.m. Omega Group, St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 131 W. Council St., AF • 8 p.m., Free to Live, New Hope Lutheran Church, 1615 Brantley Road, Kannapolis, OD AF.
—Saturday: 7 p.m., Omega Group, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 201 W. Council St., enter at Boy Scout Hut, OD WA .
Narcotics Anonymous Helpline, 704-640-6488.
• Overcomers in Christ, Jericho Outreach addiction recovery program, 7 p.m. Mondays, Grace Bible Church Family Life Center, 6725 E. N.C. 152, Rockwell. Information 704-279-6820 or Overcomersinchrist@yahoo.com. Also, 7 p.m. Wednesdays, Rockwell Public Library basement. Information 704-213-6712.
• Overcoming Depression, Mondays 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., cost $5. Learn where the feelings of depression begin, that God has a plan-one that will help you overcome depression and find happiness, hope and freedom in Christ. Information 704-633-0431.
• Overeaters Anonymous Salisbury, 12-step program for those with a problem with food, yo-yo dieting, bingeing and compulsive overeating, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Thursdays, St. Luke Episcopal, 131 W. Council St., in the church hall, door to the immediate right and back from the church front doors. Contact: Chris, 704-604-0910.
• Overeaters Anonymous Mooresville, 7-8 p.m. Thursdays, St. Therese Church, Mooresville. Information 704-658-1179 or 704-319-1625 or 704-319-1625 for other area meetings.
• Parent-to-Parent support for parents of children with disabilities, chronic illnesses, emotional or behavioral challenges and parents of premature infants, through Family support Network of Southern Piedmont, call 1-800-650-6526 or 704- 788-1616.
• PFLAG (Parents, Friends and Families of Lesbians and Gays) support group, Salisbury/ Rowan chapter, 10 a.m. third Saturdays, Haven Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall, 207 W.Harrison St. Information 704-213-0181 or salisburypflag@ bellsouth.net or email@example.com.
• Recovery Anonymous for anyone affected by the disease of chemical dependency, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sundays, Suite 211, Kent Building, 909 S. Main St. Information 704-637-0052.
• Rowan Brain Injury support group, 7 p.m. fourth Thursdays, Arc of Rowan, 1918 w. Innes St. To support people with acquired brain injury and/or TBI, their families, care givers or anyone interested, all are welcome. Nadine Cherry 980-622-7732, Mary Sechler 704-905-2353, The Arc of Rowan 704-637-1521.
• Rowan Epilepsy support group, 7 p.m. second Thursdays, First United Methodist Church media room, 217 S. Church St. Information Carole Young, 704-639-0847, youngcarole@hotmail. com or toll-free line to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, 1-800-642-0500.
• Rowan Parkinson’s support group, 1 p.m., first Tuesdays, First Presbyterian Church Education Building, Fisher Street. Information Peggy Wilson, 704-633-3181.
• Rowan Hospice & Palliative CARE, grief Support Group, Monthly, day support groups from 1:30-2:30 p.m. and Spring and Fall, evening 6-week support groups available. Susanna Lund 704-637-7645 or 336-331-1348.
• Salisbury Mothers of Multiples support group for families of twins, triplets and more, 6:30 p.m. third Thursdays, First United Methodist Church, North Church Street. Information Suzannah Callahan at 704-647-0445.
• Sarcoidosis support group, 1-3 p.m. once a month, third Saturdays, Rowan Public Library. For anyone that has or knows of someone with sarcoidosis. Share, learn, network for emotional and practical support. Delilah Blackwell, 704-638-0060, 704-797-6692, blackwelldelilah@yahoo. com.
• Sexual Assault support group, 5-6 p.m. Tuesdays. Information 704-636-4718.
• Spiritual Divorce: The Gift of the Climb, Monday 6:30-8 p.m., First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., cost $20. Marriage usually brings you presents: plates, towels, glasses, picture frames, etc. When separation and divorce enter into out lives the present turn to hate , hurt, rejection, anger, jealousy and helplessness. What if these present could turn into the most precious gifts of your life- self love, compassion, strength, courage, purpose and power. Great follow up to DivorceCare. Information 704-633-0431.
• Parents Who Have Lost Children Through Death support group, 5:30 p.m. Sundays through Nov. 14, Kannapolis First Baptist Church, 101 N. Main St., Kannapolis. Information 704-938-4697 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Surviving Stroke support group, 6:15 p.m. first Thursdays in March, June, September and December, Diagnostic Imaging and Physical Rehabilitation Center, Division of Rowan Regional Medical Center, 514 Corporate Circle. Information 704-210-6918.
• TOPS means Take Off Pounds Sensibly: Do you want to lose weight, make new friends, learn healthy eating habits for 2013? TOPS, a non-profit weight loss organization, holds weekly one hour support group meetings throughout NC. Annual cost $28, half price for children 6-18 years and spouses who join together. www.tops.org/ or 1-800-YEA-TOPS. Local contact: Laura Wickwar, 919-621-3613, Laurasgw@gmail.com
Monday: Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, weigh in 9 a.m./ meeting 10 a.m. Leader Betty Camerlin 704-856-0205;
Monday: Carillon Assisted Living, 1915 Mooresville Rd., Country Kitchen room, weigh in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Leader Maggie Musselwhite, 704-754-6158;
Tuesday: 795 Cannon St., Rockwell (fellowship building of Foursquare Church), weigh-in 5:30 p.m., meeting 6 p.m. Leader Denise Jacobs, 704-279-5164, 704-642-6518, email@example.com
Thursday: Church of God fellowship building, 509 N.C. 152 East, Rockwell, weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m. Mary Coburn, 704-970-7224.
• TLC support group for Widows/widowers, third Wednesdays, Powles Funeral Home. Meetings feature speakers, programs, local field trips in the summer months. Contact Russ Roakes, 704-279-7241.
• US TOO! Prostate support group, 6 p.m. third Thursdays, Rowan Regional Medical Center Cardiac Rehabilitation and Wellness Center, second floor in Kiser Medical Building. Information Charles Glover, 704-642-2471.
If your information needs to be updated, email firstname.lastname@example.org with SUPPORT GROUP UPDATE in the subject line, or call 704-797-4243.... read more