Curling iron caused fire on Old Wilkesboro Road
Fire officials say an unattended curling iron caused an early morning fire at Old Wilkesboro Road.
The fire occurred Thursday shortly before 2 a.m. at 1404 Old Wilkesboro Road and was under control in less than an hour.
Salisbury Fire Marshal Terry Smith said the hair tool ignited a combustible material near it inside a bedroom. It was an accident, he said.
It’s hard to tell because of the damage what type of combustible material caught fire, he said.
The occupants of the home were home at the time and were able to get out of the house before fire crews arrived. The home was 50 percent damaged, Smith said, and at this time uninhabitable.
Salisbury and Spencer Fire departments responded, as did the Rowan County Rescue Squad. The Rowan Chapter of the American Red Cross aided the family.
SALISBURY — Frances Campbell couldn’t wait to move into her new apartment. In fact, she drove by the construction site... read more