NC man gets at least 26 years for toddler attack
WINSTON-SALEM (AP) — A Wilkes County man has been sentenced to at least 26 years in prison for trying to kill a toddler in a Winston-Salem hospital last year.
Jacob Andrew Minton, 28, pleaded guilty in Winston-Salem on Wednesday to 11 counts of attempted first degree murder and four counts of assault on a handicapped person.
Defense attorney Clara Smith says Minton was so impaired by drugs and traumatized by his own sexual abuse as a child that he doesn’t remember trying to kill his girlfriend’s 2-year-old daughter.
The attack happened at Brenner Children’s Hospital on March 27, 2011.
Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Martin says a video camera in the girl’s room captured Minton hitting and punching the girl, twisting her leg and pinching her nose and airway tube.
SALISBURY — The city of Salisbury began an internal investigation this morning into the Salisbury Fire Department after receiving allegations... read more