Marsh column: Some of the benefits of lifting weights
Why should anyone lift weights?
1. To strengthen your muscles, which is hard to do without resistance like weights.
2. The more muscles you work, the more energy you burn, the more you can eat.
3. After a great workout, you are “high” on endorphins. Natural and safe and legal.
4. You realize after a while that your buttocks are not “dragging anymore.” They are back where they belong — in your underwear.
5. You don’t use it, you WILL lose it.
6. You never had it — believe me, you lose more.
7. Your arms stop waving long after you are done waving.
8. Your “keg” will change into a “six-pack.”
9. Chicken legs will become muscular chicken legs.
10. You eventually enjoy “The burn.”
11. Great stress reliever.
12. Saggy breasts tighten up. Yes, this also applies to men.
13. Skin looks healthier, tighter, better.
14. Posture improves.
15. You can still open a can of pickles, etc. by hand.
16. You are able to keep up with — anyone!
17. People will say behind your back, “I remember how he/she used to look. They must be working out.”
18. You’ll get to meet new people, make new friends.
19. You are never too old to start.
20. Last but not least. You HAVE to, for it to be part of a healthy lifestyle.
Funny but true, isn’t it? And it is all about making choices. Do you make that choice and commitment to look and feel better? Do something that is great for your overall health? Like the Nike commercial has used for years: “Just do it!” Don’t go crazy and start lifting five days a week, one hour at a time. Start with baby steps: twice a week, 15 to 30 minutes at a time. If you enjoy classes, BODYPUMP and Powerflex classes are some classes you might want to try out. It is a choreographed weight lifting program which uses the whole body. It is in a class setting and is done to awesome music.
Next time, I hope I see you “hitting the weights.”
Ester H Marsh, ACSM Cpt Health and Fitness Director JF Hurley Family YMCA