A brief history of Lyerly Funeral Home
Published 12:00 am Friday, April 13, 2012
Lyerly Funeral Home was founded by James C. Lyerly in May 1957 at 414 S. Main St. In 1964, the current building was built at 515 S. Main. Additions were made in 1970 and again in 1987.
Here’s a history of the funeral home from its website:
“James C. Lyerly, a native of Rowan County, along with his wife, Willene K. Lyerly, founded Lyerly Funeral Home, Inc. in May 1957.
“Educated in the Rowan County Schools, Lyerly graduated from Catawba College and the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science. His caring and concern for people led to his vision of providing thoughtful service to families at a difficult time in their lives. His kind manner and sincere concern quickly became a tradition.
“The Lyerly family has continued this tradition to the present day. Mrs. Lyerly was involved in the day-to-day operations of the company until her death on January 8, 2007.
“Upon Mr. Lyerly’s death in 1987, his son, J. Brent Lyerly, assumed duties of president of the funeral home, and has continued the tradition of “Thoughtful Service.” He worked alongside his father for many years, and is also a graduate of Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science.
“Mr. and Mrs. Lyerly’s daughter, Kathy Lyerly Davis, joined the staff in 1990 as Executive Vice President and Corporate Secretary.
“Although the physical facilities have been moved, expanded, and renovated several times over the years, the staff remains committed to Mr. Lyerly’s vision of special professional service to the living.”
The current staff, in addition to Brent Lyerly and Kathy Davis, includes Reid Snider, G. Wayne Hendrix, Gloria Nicholas-Brown, Roger D. Sullivan, Vickie B. Abernathy, Larry Trexler, Ted Bayliff, Billy Beck, Mark Wilhelm, Bill Fisher, Jimmie Hartline, Cathy Shive, Jeff Moore, Jeff Eury, Tommie Edwards, Linda Basinger, Gregg Evans.