Gold Hill home sustains severe fire damage

Published 12:00 am Sunday, December 4, 2011

By Sarah Campbell
scampbell@salisburypost.com
GOLD HILL — A family of seven was displaced after a fire ripped through their home Saturday afternoon.
East Gold Hill Fire Chief Randy Earnhardt said it took firefighters about an hour and a half to tame the blaze at 440 Lomax Road, which started shortly after 1 p.m.
Crews managed to contain the fire damage to the middle of the mobile home.
“But it’s completely destroyed from smoke and water damage,” Earnhardt said.
Rowan County fire investigator Deborah Horne said although the home is considered a “total loss,” firefighters man saved a hefty portion of the families possessions.
“They did a tremendous job keeping the fire from spreading throughout the home,” she said.
Jessica Herion and her husband, Grant, said they were grateful the fire didn’t devour everything.
“That’s probably the best thing, because if that wasn’t the case, we would have to start over completely,” she said.
Jessica said family members sifted through the home Sunday to a find a large portion of clothing that was untouched by the fire.
“We saved stuff from three bedrooms, but nothing was saved from the master bedroom or the baby’s room,” she said.
But Jessica said the baby’s room was basically empty. The gifts she received at her baby shower were being stored at her grandparents’ house.
“We were planning to move everything over (Saturday) afternoon,” she said.
Although sentimental items like her mother’s jewelry survived the fire, all of Jessica’s little brother’s belongings were charred.
“It destroyed everything, including all his toys,” she said.
Four other adults and a 2-year-old were also living in the home. No one was injured in the blaze, but the family dog, Zoe, perished.
Elizabeth Hanford Dole Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.
The East Gold Hill Fire Department also took up a donation for the family Saturday.
“It’s rare these days to see people give out of their pockets like that,” Grant said. “So that’s nice.”
Jessica said the family will stay with her grandparents down the road until they figure out a more permanent living situation.
The family did have insurance on the home.
Horne said she’ll be back at the home today to continue her investigation.
“There is no indication that this was a purposely set fire,” she said. “We believe that it was accidental.”
Jessica said she thinks the fire started due to an electrical issue.
Contact reporter Sarah Campbell at 704-797-7683.
Twitter: twitter.com/posteducation
Facebook: facebook.com.

Comments

Comments closed.