Person burned, firefighter injured in two separate fires
By Sara Gregory
House fires early Friday morning left two with burns and destroyed one home.
Firefighters responded about 8 a.m. to a grease fire at a one-story, wood-frame rental house at 2102 Lane St. in Kannapolis.
EMS transported one person to Carolinas Medical Center with significant burn injuries.
Kannapolis Police Chief Ernie Hiers said the individual’s name could not be released because of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability act.
Maria Bostian, a public safety educator with the Kannapolis fire department, said she believed efforts were under way to transport the individual to the N.C. Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill.
Bostian said the fire caused very little damage to the house.
In Concord, a fire at 3741 Patricia Drive destroyed a mobile home. The resident, an elderly woman whom fire officials have not identified, was lying in the yard when police initially responded to a 911 hang-up call about 5 a.m.
“Our 911 operator heard a female screaming and a dog barking,” said Jim Sells, Concord’s emergency management coordinator. A neighbor also called to report the fire.
That fire caused damage of $47,000 to the mobile home and its contents and also caused damage of $2,000 to the siding of a neighbor’s home.
The woman made it out safely and was not hurt, but one firefighter was injured.
“His leg went through the floor and suffered some burns,” Sells said.
The firefighter was treated and released.
A dog, two cats and a bird did not survive the fire.