Hurricane devastation touches the nation’s blood supply
The American Red Cross has activated its national network to move blood from other communities to assist hospitals in communities affected by the storms and other emergencies.
The Red Cross has provided hundreds of blood products to hospitals in Texas in the wake of Hurricane Ike and to trauma hospitals in Los Angeles for the train crash survivors. The result is a shortfall between supply and demand that must be made up so patients in our community who need blood will not be placed at risk.
You can help by donating blood at one of the following sites. Phone numbers are provided for appointments. Walk-ins are also welcome.
All donors who give blood Oct. 1 through Dec. 31 can enter a drawing to win one of three $1,000 gift cards.
– Friday, Oct . 3, 1:30-6 p.m., Wal-Mart, 323 S. Arlington St., Salisbury. Call Jan Harwood at 704-639-9718.
– Sunday, Oct. 5, 1-5:30 p.m., Rock Grove United Methodist Church, 1050 Rock Grove Church Road. Giveaway and pizza for all donors. Call Sherry Smith at 704-642-7991.
– Sunday, Oct. 5, 1-5:30 p.m., Mount. Zion United Church of Christ, 1415 S. Main St., China Grove. Call Ann Bullard at 704-857-6247.
– Wednesday, Oct 8, 2-6:30 p.m., Spencer Community Blood Drive, Spencer Moose Lodge, 1301 N. Elizabeth Ave., Spencer. Call Geraldine Terry at 704-212-2778.
– Saturday, Oct. 11, 10 a.m. ń2:30 p.m., “Citywide Health Fair” (Health Fair will begin at 8 a.m.) Salisbury High School, 500 Lincolnton Road. Sponsored by interdenominational churches. Marrow typing available. All donors will receive a giveaway. Call Thersa Phelps at 704-640-7797.
– Sunday, Oct. 12, 1-5:30 p.m., Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church, 5080 Sherrills Ford Road. Call Penny Barger at 704-202-4664.
– Mon Oct 13, 9:30 a.m.ń 2 p.m., American Red Cross, 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd. Call Sherry Smith at 704-633-3854, ext. 105.
– Tuesday, Oct. 14, 10 a.m. ń 2:30 p.m. Hanesbrands Inc., 308 E. Thom St., China Grove. Call Gene Clary at 704-855-6514.
– Saturday, Oct. 18, 9 a.m. ń1:30 p.m., Trading Ford Baptist Church, 3600 Long Ferry Road. Call Frances Lomax at 704-630-0585.
– Saturday, Oct. 18, 10 a.m.ń2:30 p.m., Salisbury Mall, 1935 Jake Alexander Blvd., West. Call Frankie Atkins at 704-637-7467.
– Sunday, Oct. 19, 1-5:30 p.m., First Reformed Church, 210 N. Central Ave., Landis. Marrow typing available. Call Anita Erwin at 704-403-3961.
– Sunday, Oct. 19, 1-5:30 p.m. Centenary United Methodist Church, 620 Centenary Road, Mount Ulla. Call Melissa Plyler at 704-663-1890.
– Monday, Oct. 27, 2:30-7 p.m. Neel Road Baptist Church, 135 Neel Road. Call Jane Bryan at 704-278-0406.- Monday, Oct. 28, 11 a.m. ń3:30 p.m. Rowan Regional Medical Center, 612 Mocksville Ave. Call Todd Shumaker at 704-210-5013.
– Friday, Oct. 31, 2 p.m.ń 6:30 p.m. Team Chevrolet, 404 Jake Alexander Blvd., South. Give-aways for donors and kids. Call Lisa Weaver at 704-216-8000.
Blood drive information subject to change. Please call the Red Cross office at 704-633-3854 for updated information.