Have you registered for A Day in the Life?
Have you registered for A Day in the Life, our annual photo journal of daily life in Rowan County? It’s not too late! We’re still accepting participants. Send us your SPOTTED user name to email@example.com and we will grant permission for you to post your own gallery in our A Day in the Life event. If you do not have a Spotted account, it is free and easy to join. Go to http://spotted.salisburypost.com to join now.
Once you send us your Spotted user name, you will have acces to link only for Event photographers. Follow these steps to create your gallery and then upload all the photos you take July 10.
Logging in to Spotted takes you to “your stuff.”
On the right side near the top is a dark blue box.
Click on the special link labeled “Admin Spotted Events.”
Click on the “Add Gallery” link beside the DITL event link.
Name the gallery according to this format: “First name Last name DITL 08.”
Select “Rowan County” for the location (bottom of the drop-down Location menu).
Leave Gallery Type set to “Event Gallery.”
Leave Contest set to “No.”
Leave Skin set to “Default.”
Leave “Before and After” box Unchecked.
Select “A Day in the Life” as the first Category.
Select second and third categories at your discretion. (You may request additional Categories via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Spotted Category request” in the subject line).
Now click on the Upload link beside Reorder and Options to select your photos.
Additional information is available at http://spotted.salisburypost.com/pages/help.php
You can upload as many as you wish, but the following information must be included for a photo to be considered for the printed section coming later. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any concerns about uploading to the right place.
A Day in the Life Photo Information:
Description of what is going on in the photo
Photo subject’s name and general location where you took the photo
Names of others in the photo
Time of day when the photo was taken.
Do not include phone numbers or home addresses on the Spotted web site.
SUBMIT YOUR PHOTOS BY JULY 14
Tips for Shooting A Day in the Life
From Wayne Hinshaw
DATE FOR SHOOTING IS July 10, 2008
SIGN UP TO SHOOT PHOTOS ON JULY 7 so we will know who is participating and how many photos to expect.
1. GET CLOSE TO YOUR SUBJECT. Don’t shoot from too far away, fill as much of the frame with your subject as possible.
2. AVOID POSING PEOPLE. Try to take candid photos of people doing activities.
3. IDENTIFY YOURSELF to people you’re photographing. Tell them you are an amateur photographer taking pictures for the annual “Day In the Life” section in the Salisbury Post.
4. THINK THROUGH AND PLAN WHAT YOU SHOOT. We’re looking for a couple nice photos from each participant. You can take several shots of one thing. It’s better to do one thing well than four or five not so well.
5. BE AWARE OF TRESPASSING LAWS. Don’t go on private property without permission.
6. BE SURE TO GET NAMES. It is vital to get the name, address and phone number of anybody in your photos. We need the information for an accurate cutline. No matter how simple-please have each person spell their name for you. (John Smith could be spelled Jon Smyth.)
7. AIM FOR PEOPLE. Animals and scenery are secondary, the primary focus is on Rowan County residents at work, rest and play. Remember, we need shots from the whole day- so don’t forget the early morning and late at night.
8. SHOOT REGARDLESS OF THE WEATHER. If it’s a rainy day, we’ll need to reflect that. If it is a scorcher, then we need photos of people suffering or beating the heat.
9. GOOD PHOTOS REQUIRE GOOD INFORMATION. It is critical to supply complete descriptions, time, locations, and other information to help the reader know what is happening in the photo. Please call photo chief Wayne Hinshaw at 704-797-4296 (or the department at 704-797-4260) with any questions.