granite quarry town board
By Holly Fesperman LeeSalisbury Post
GRANITE QUARRY ó Within the next couple of months, the Fire Department will start conducting its own fire inspections at businesses in town.
In the past, Rowan County has conducted fire inspections in Granite Quarry, but Town Manager Dan Peters said doing the inspections in-house will “allow us to become more familiar with businesses in town.”
Aldermen voted Monday to adopt the North Carolina Fire Code, making the new inspection process possible.
Peters said Fire Department personnel can also give citations for code violations.
Also during Monday’s meeting:
– Granite Quarry Fire Department may soon receive a grant from FEMA for close to $50,000 that will pay for installing a vent system in the Fire Department engine bay.
Peters said FEMA contacted the town for more information on the grant, and normally when that happens, it’s a good indication an approval isn’t far behind.
The town will pay about $2,400 over the $48,900 the grant will provide toward the vent system.
Peters said the system will carry fumes from the engines to the outside.
“It keeps our building cleaner, and it’s healthier for our people,” he said.
– Kevin Strobel was named Fire Department Veteran of the Year. Strobel serves as an engineer and has been with the department more than 10 years.
– Bill Fraley was named Fire Department Officer of the Year. Fraley serves as deputy chief and has worked in the Fire Department for more than 20 years.
– Chris Miller was named Fire Department Rookie of the Year. Miller has served with the department for about two years.
– Police Department Cpl. Jason Page recently completed a medical responder certification class. He’ll be able to assist on medical calls if needed.
– The town board and staff retreat will be Feb. 18 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the F&M Bank boardroom in Granite Quarry.Agenda items include departmental reports, plans for the future, business leader discussions and preplanning for the town budget.
Contact Holly Lee at 704-797-7683 or email@example.com.