Daddy-Daughter Dance, other events coming to libraries
The four branches of the Cabarrus County Public Library are having a variety of classes, workshops and author events in February and March.
For more information about these events or other library resources, log on to www.cabarruscounty.us/library.
* The annual Daddy-Daughter Day will be held Feb. 10, a Saturday, from 10:30 a.m. until noon. This program is open to girls ages 5-12 and their fathers or father figures. Participants will enjoy light refreshments, entertainment and a craft project. To register, call the Kannapolis Branch Library at 704-920-1180.
* A book signing event with Helen Arthur-Cornett, author of “Remembering Kannapolis: Tales from Towel City,” will be held Friday from 5-7 p.m. This collection of writings is compiled from articles first published in The Charlotte Observer’s “A Look Back” column. For more information, call the Kannapolis Branch.
* “Cotton” Ketchie, a North Carolina artist and author, will discuss his newly published book, “Memories of a Country Boy,” at a book signing at 7 p.m. Feb. 13, a Tuesday. He also will display several pieces of his artwork that represent the landmarks of North Carolina. For more information, call the Kannapolis Branch.
“The Journey Inward: Women’s Autobiography,” a scholar-led book discussion series, begins in February and will explore the lives of remarkable women through their own words.
* Thursday — “One Writer’s Beginnings,” by Eudora Welty; discussion leader, Dr. Jackie Ariail.
* Feb. 15 — “Letters of a Woman Homesteader,” by Elinor Pruitt Stewart; discussion leader, Dr. Katherine Ledford.
* March 1 — “Dust Tracks on a Road,” by Zora Neale Hurston; discussion leader, Dr. Bruce Dick.
* March 15 — “My Life,” by Isadora Duncan; discussion leader, Dr. Davis Hopes.
* March 29 — “West With the Night,” by Beryl Markham; discussion leader, Dr. Peg Downes.
Books will be provided by the State Library of North Carolina. All meetings will be held from 10 a.m. until noon in the second-floor auditorium. Advance registration is required. To register, stop by Concord Main Library or call 704-920-2050.
Instructor Jody Hunter will offer a watercolor class for adults and young adults from 10:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. Feb. 24. Advance registration is required. To sign up, call the Harrisburg Branch Library at 704-920-2080.
* John Bigelow will conduct a writing workshop Tuesday, Feb. 6, at 6:30 p.m. The workshop will focus on how to pack powerful emotions into two or three sentences by using experiences common to most readers. Newcomers are welcome to this ongoing series of workshops. For more information, call the Mount Pleasant Branch Library at 704-436-2202.
* A bracelet-making class will be held Feb. 22, a Thursday, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. with The Bead Lady. This class is open to adults and children 12 and older. For more information, call 704-436-2202.