Commissioners to consider offer for Speedway Business Park lot
By Jessie Burchette
County commissioners will consider an offer Monday evening from a White Plains, Md., businessman for a lot in the county-owned Speedway Business Park off Peach Orchard Road.
Ray Hackett, owner of J&R Supply Corp., a nationwide supplier of janitorial and cleaning supplies, has submitted an offer of $56,500 for the 2-acre tract.
Hackett plans to invest between $1 million and $2 million to build a facility to serve his business and his son’s racing business.
Ryan Hackett Racing currently runs in the Nationwide and ARCA Remax series and late-model dirt-track racing.
Robert Van Geons, executive director of the Salisbury-Rowan Economic Development Commission, will discuss the offer with commissioners.
Because it is being considered as an economic development project, the board will conduct a public hearing.
The project is not eligible for incentives but if approved as an economic development project, the sale can go through immediately and not go through the customary 10-day upset-bid process.
In other business, the board is scheduled to:
– Consider a request from Living Word Spirited Baptist Church in Enochville for a permit to exceed the noise ordinance for an outdoor music festival on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The festival will serve as a fundraiser for the church building fund. The church is located at 2106 W. C St.
– Approve a resolution declaring Oct. 5-11 as Mental Health Awareness Week in Rowan County.
– Receive a report on tax settlements for the 2007-2008 fiscal year. The report also includes a request to declare $95,794 from 1997 as uncollectible. State-law sets a 10 year limit on collections.
– Consider an offer of $1,500 for a leftover portion of a lot in the Spring Valley subdivision.
– Approve the purchase of nine 2009 Dodge Chargers for the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office from Ilderton Dodge in High Point for $21,661 each, or a total of $194,949.
The Rowan County Board of Commissioners meets at 7 p.m. in the J. Newton Cohen Administration Building, 130 W. Innes St.