Child receives second-degree burns in garage fire
By Steve Huffman
GRANITE QUARRY ó A child was injured in a house fire Thursday afternoon.
David Morris, chief of the Granite Quarry Fire Department, said the fire was in a garage in a house in the Stonewick subdivision off Main Street.
He said residents of the house had extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived, but the child came in contact with smoldering clothing that was being taken from the garage.
The clothing burned him on his chest and wrist, Morris said. He said the burns, not life-threatening, were of the second-degree variety.
“He was conscious, alert and talking,” Morris said of the child.
He said he didn’t know the child’s age, only that he was a “pre-teen.” The child was released to Rowan County Emergency Medical Services.
Morris said he didn’t know if the child was transported to Rowan Regional Medical Center. Officials with Emergency Medical Services declined to release information about the incident Thursday evening. The fire was reported about 4:30 p.m.
Morris said firefighters doused with water a few places in the house where the fire had burned. He said the fire was started by a child playing with a cigarette lighter.