Cabarrus Social Services director leaving for top job in Catawba County
CONCORD ó John Eller will resign as director of the Cabarrus County Department of Social Services in late October, county officials announced today.
“The decision to leave Cabarrus County DSS was not an easy one to make, as I was not seeking employment elsewhere and had hoped to remain here for years to come,” Eller said in a press release.
Eller has accepted a position as director of Catawba County Department of Social Services, where he will replace his mentor, retiring Director Bobby Boyd.
Eller joined the Cabarrus County Department of Social Service in July 2007. The county department has 250 employees and a budget of more than $34 million.
According to county officials, since Eller became director in Cabarrus, Social Services has:
– Reduced the number of foster children in custody for more than 12 months.
– Seen a drop in the number of children being reported as abused or neglected.
– Increased the number of vulnerable adults protected through the agency’s Adult Protective Services division.
– Reorganized the department to focus more on customer service, efficiency and prevention.
– Lead the state percentage of citizens in a county who are eligible for food assistance (formerly food stamps) who receive benefits and Carolina Access Health Insurance.
– Increased child support collections.
– Improved the Work First participation rate.
– Created a court liaison position to assist with communication between legal staff and the court.
– Secured two grants in adult services to better assist clients.
The Social Services governing board will meet soon with county officials to decide the next steps for hiring a replacement.