Block grant sought
By Mark Wineka
Rowan County will apply for a $400,000 Community Development Block Grant, which it would use toward the rehabilitation of seven homes and emergency repairs to eight others.
The Rowan County Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing Monday in connection with the application for the funds. It is considered a “Scattered Site Housing” application.
After the hearing, homes will be evaluated for the program.
Commissioners will hold a second public hearing later to decide which homes to include in the application.
Meanwhile, commissioners also will conduct a “close-out public hearing” Monday to mark the completion of Rowan County’s 2005 Scattered Site Housing Project, which also used Community Development Block Grant funds.
Commissioners meet at 4 p.m. Monday at the J. Newton Cohen Sr. Rowan County Administration Building, 130 W. Innes St.
In another matter, the Rowan County Juvenile Crime Prevention Council has recommended the allocation of $47,578 to the Adolescent & Family Enrichment Council’s nutrition program; $21,537 to the Youth Services Bureau’s Teen Court; $70,973 for its psychological services, $50,328 for juvenile restitution and $55,841 for the YOUth Train; $38,333 for Genesis’ Sexually Aggressive Youth Program; and $44,262 for Communities in Schools.
The total allocation of juvenile crime prevention funds from the state would be $328,852. Commissioners must approve the allocations.
In other agenda items, commissioners will:
– Schedule dates for budget work sessions.
– Consider board appointments.
– Consider budget amendments.
– Hold a public hearing to give the name Red Tractor Trail to a road off the 1200 block of Barnhardt Road. The three property owners on the road have agreed to the name.
– Declare May as Older Americans Month.
– Proclaim May 17 as “Let’s Get Connected Day.”
– Proclaim the week of May 18-24 as Emergency Medical Services Week.
– Consider a resolution of intent to close an unopened portion of Candlewick Drive in Woodbridge Run and set the public hearing for June 2. Donald and Virginia Champion are making the request.
– Set a public hearing for May 19 to consider naming a road off Phaniel Church Road as Teakwood Trail.
– Set a public hearing for May 19 to consider a conditional-use permit for Premier Holding Co., which wants to subdivide a 1.34-acre parcel at 1108 Webb Road to allow for construction of a duplex.
– Set a public hearing for May 19 to consider a conditional-use permit for Todd Beckham, who seeks to add 15 additional campsites to an existing 10-space campground off Harris Point Road.