Source of East Spencer fire was electrical outlet
EAST SPENCER ó A fire which destroyed a home on South Long Street Saturday started at an electrical outlet.
The fire destroyed a one-story frame home at 935 S. Long St. and left Peggy Young and her seven children and grandchildren homeless.One or more firefighters who were injured when a portion of the structure collapsed were treated at Rowan Regional Medical Center and released.
Deborah K. Horne, fire inspector/investigator for Rowan County, said Sunday that a family member saw fire coming from an electrical outlet in a bedroom and a nearby bed on fire.
Family members tried to extinguish the fire but were unsuccessful.
When firefighters arrived, most of the front of the house was ablaze.
Multiple departments responded to assist.
Horne and Bradley McKnight, an assistant fire investigator, concluded the origin was likely an electrical failure of the wall socket.
“We believe all fire departments did an extraordinary job during their firefighting efforts,” Horne said. “We are especially thankful the firefighters involved in the porch collapse were released from Rowan Regional with minimal injuries.”
The names of those injured have not been released.
The E.H. Dole Red Cross chapter is assisting the family.
The house, owned by Andrew Harris, was destroyed. No damage estimate was available.