Roundtable: Safe sleeping tips
The Rowan County Board of Social Services has approved offering these safe sleeping rules for infants to parents served by the department:
– Do not sleep in the same bed with your baby. Use a crib, bassinet or playpen designed for babies. Do not allow your baby’s older brothers or sisters to sleep with your baby.
– Do not fall asleep with your baby on a couch. Your baby may get wedged between the back of the couch and the larger person’s body, or your baby’s head may become buried in cushion crevices or soft cushions.
– Do not place your baby on a free-floating, wavy waterbed or similar surface in which the baby could suffocate.
– Do not place your sleeping baby on pillows, cushions, sofas or loose bedding.
– Keep excess bedding, toys, stuffed animals and pillows out of the crib while baby sleeps.
– Do not cover your baby’s face with blankets while your baby is sleeping.
Sandra Wilkes, Rowan Social Services director, said parents receiving assistance through the department will be asked to sign a form acknowledging they have received, read and understand the safe sleeping information.
The form states, “Parents put infants and very young children at high risk when parents sleep in the same bed with their children. Risks include injury and death by suffocation.
“Your social worker will help you if you do not have or cannot afford appropriate bedding for your baby.”
The form also includes a space for parents to write where their baby sleeps.