Red Cross offers opportunities to donate blood
During the summer, it’s always a challenge for the American Red Cross to collect enough blood to meet hospitals’ needs. This is especially true this year as many donors are also dealing with business closings, lay-offs and other issues relating to our current economy.
Unfortunately, the need for blood doesn’t go away. Patients are dependent on the Red Cross and volunteer blood donors to make sure blood is available to patients in need. Without an immediate response from generous people in the community, our ability to provide the needed blood will be limited.
Every two seconds someone in this country needs blood. That need for blood continues to grow each year far faster than the number of individuals who donate blood.
Currently only 38 percent of the population is eligible to donate and only a fraction of those eligible actually do so.
In the Carolinas Blood Services Region, the Red Cross must collect 1,600 units of blood each weekday to meet the needs of hospital patients. You can help by giving at one of the following sites. Blood is Life…Pass it On!
– Today 1 p.m.ń5:30 pm. St. James Lutheran Church, 131 W. Main St., Rockwell. For an appointment, please call Karen Russell at 704-279-2339.
– Today 12:30 p.m.ń5 p.m. Rock Hill Church of Christ, Needmore Road, Cleveland. For an appointment, please call Prudence Houpe at 704-278-0493.
– Monday, Sept. 21 2:30 p.m.ń7:00 p.m. St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 205 St. Paul Church Road, Salisbury. For more information, please call the church office at 704-633-0922.
– Tuesday, Sept. 22 2 p.m.ń6:30 p.m., North Hills Christian School, 2970 W. Innes St., Salisbury. For an appointment, please call Angie Richard at 704-636-3005, ext 108.
– Sunday, Sept. 27 12:30 p.m.ń5 p.m., Faith Baptist Church, 203 N. Main St., Faith. For an appointment, please call Misty Goodman at 980-234-3867.
– Monday, Sept. 28 12:30 p.m.ń5 p.m., “China Grove Community Blood Drive!”, t. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 326 N. Main St., China Grove. For an appointment, please call Sherry Smith at 704-633-3854, ext 105.
– Monday, Sept. 28 9:30 a.m.ń2 p.m., Piedmont Correctional Institute, 1245 Camp Road, Salisbury. For an appointment, please call Earl Short at 704-639-7540.
– Monday, Sept. 28 10 a.m.ń2:30 p.m., Salisbury Post, 131 W. Innes St., Salisbury. For an appointment, please call Sharon Medlin at 704-797-7673.