• 61°

Grants will help with towns with costs of additional police officers, equipment

Staff report
Two Rowan towns will get funding for an additional police officer and another will get equipment to help control drivers’ speed from a state grant program.
The China Grove, Landis and Kannapolis police departments will share in a statewide pool of more than $9 million awarded through the Governor’s Highway Safety Program. The towns received the money in the latest round of grants announced this week.
China Grove and Landis will get more than $90,000 apiece.
Beth Horner, communications officer for the Highway Safety Program said Landis will receive $98,723 and China Grove will receive $91,605. Both towns have received the funding for an additional police officer, along with a patrol car and related equipment.
Kannapolis will get $5,280. Police Chief Woody Chavis said his department applied for money to buy a portable speed sign and data collection unit.
The town will pay 25 percent, or $1,300, for a piece of equipment that costs $5,300.
Last year, Chavis noted, the department received $10,000 from the grant program to purchase DWI checkpoint equipment and a trailer. Under that award, the state grant also paid 75 percent with city funds paying the remaining 25 percent.
Statewide, a total of 139 grants were awarded to police departments, sheriff’s offices and other state and local agencies.
The money comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and must be used for highway safety projects.
Agencies apply for the grants annually and are chosen based on need, commitment to highway safety and traffic crash and fatality data.
The program’s mission is to promote highway safety awareness and reduce the number of traffic crashes and fatalities in North Carolina through the planning and execution of safety programs.

Comments

Comments closed.

Crime

Man faces drug charges after breaking and entering call

Lifestyle

Waterworks schedules 2021 Summer ARTventures

Crime

Blotter: Man faces drug charges after being found passed out in vehicle

Ask Us

Ask Us: What programs exist for litter cleanup?

Business

County begins accepting restaurant grant applications

Crime

Blotter: Salisbury man charged with nine more felony sex offenses

Nation/World

Biden team readies wider economic package after virus relief

Nation/World

Spacewalking astronauts prep station for new solar wings

Nation/World

Cuomo sorry for remarks aide ‘misinterpreted’ as harassment

Nation/World

Trump calls for GOP unity, repeats lies about election loss

Education

Rowan County administers 700 vaccines, with majority going to local educators

Crime

Shoplifting at Walmart presents challenge for Salisbury police

Local

Commissioners will hear details about changes to solar energy policies

Business

After overcoming obstacles, local barber Daniel King earns registered status

Lifestyle

39th annual K12 student exhibitions go virtual

Business

Biz Roundup: Chamber of Commerce to host ‘Salute to Agri-Business’ at March Power in Partnership

Local

Local legislators back bills ranging from new restrictions on sex offenders to Holocaust education

News

After surviving COVID-19 scare, Lois Willard set to celebrate 100th birthday

High School

Carson rolls over South 41-0 as about 600 allowed in to see season opener for both

Education

East Spencer after-school program looks toward opening, nonprofit status

Lifestyle

Frank Ramsey inducted into the NC Military Veterans Hall of Fame

College

Livingstone’s Stoutamire inducted into 2021 CIAA Hall of Fame

Nation/World

J&J’s 1-dose shot cleared, giving US 3rd COVID-19 vaccine

Coronavirus

13 deaths reported in Rowan, county stresses need to receive second dose