Faith American Legion Auxiliary Unit 327 sponsors five for Girls State
The Faith American Legion Auxiliary Unit 327 is sponsoring five delegates to the 70th session of Tar Heel Girls State June 14-20 at Catawba College.
– Julie Bruce, 17, the daughter of John and Ann Bruce, is a junior at Jesse Carson High School, where she is a member of the National Honor Society, the swim team and Junior Civitans. She is a member of Faith Lutheran Church, where she serves as an acolyte and participates in the youth group.
She will attend the ELCA youth gathering in New Orleans in July. She is a member of Faith Unit 327 Junior Auxiliary.
– Sheryl Hawkins, daughter of Pamela L. Hunt, is a student at East Rowan High School. Active in AJROTC, she has been team, squad and platoon leader, color guard commander, earned the Ranger Bronze and Venture Gold awards and was named superior cadet in 2007.
A certified scuba diver, she is trained in CPR and has worked at Webb Road Flea Market Crabtree Creations.
– Jenny Hughes, daughter of David and Starr Hughes, is also a student at East Rowan High School. President-elect of Junior Civitan, she is in the National Honor Society, SADD and Sigma Phi Gamma. She is captain of the cross country team and earned All-County and All-Conference honors in outdoor track.
A Civitan scholar, she is an active member of Immanuel Lutheran Church and a teen representative on the board of managers at Saleeby-Fisher YMCA.
– Kelly Leach, a student at East Rowan High School, is the daughter of Martin Robert Leach and Leisha Glover Leach. She is also taking courses at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, and was named to Who’s Who Among High School Scholars.
A member of National Honor Society, Sigma Phi Gamma, Junior Civitan, HOSA Health Academy, Venture Crew 415, Emergency Services Explorer Post, Piedmont Diving and Rescue Association and Inland Seas Diving Club.
In JROTC, she has been team leader, letter company supply sergeant, battalion command sergeant major and color guard commander. She has earned the Venture Gold and Ranger Bronze awards, among others.
She earned a varsity letter in swimming, is a certified scuba diver, is certified in CPR, life guarding and boat safety. She has been nominated for Governor’s School for 2009.
– Jocelyn Parnell, a student at Mount Pleasant High School, is the daughter of Stan and Jody Parnell of Concord.
Treasurer of the student body, she is a member of AWSUM Club, Beta Club and Interact Club.
She has played varsity basketball, softball, volleyball and track, earning coaches’ awards and MVP designation.
A member of St. John’s Lutheran Church, she is also a member of the Unit 327 American Legion Junior Auxiliary. She holds the school record for shot put and discus. She has volunteered for the Hospice tree, Special Olympics, Relay for Life, Habitat for Humanity, and many other community service groups.