County hoping to give eastern Rowan a lift with bus service
By Jessie Burchette
Eastern Rowan towns could get a bus service similar to the Rowan Express.
Rowan Transit Director Clyde Fahnestock told county commissioners Monday evening that he plans to seek a grant to provide service to Granite Quarry, Faith and Rockwell.
Like Rowan Express, the service would connect the towns to the Salisbury city bus service and Rowan Express, which would allow riders to connect to the Concord-Kannapolis CKRider service.
Fahnestock said there is considerable interest in the eastern area of the county for a similar service.
Rowan Express began earlier this year and has multiple morning and late afternoon trips from Kannapolis to Salisbury with stops in China Grove and Landis. The fee is $1, which also covers riding the connecting bus.
Starting the service for eastern Rowan will depend on getting a state or federal grant.
Fahnestock’s comments came during a public hearing on the annual application for state and federal funds to operate several transit programs.
The county is applying for $317,000 to provide countywide transportation services for the elderly, disabled and the general public.
In other business, the board:
– Adopted a resolution honoring Dr. Catrelia Hunter, a community and church leader who also served as interim president of Livingstone College.
A banquet honoring Dr. Hunter is planned Aug. 29 at the Salisbury Civic Center.
– Approved awarding sidearms to retiring Chief Deputy Steve Schenk and Lt. Reggie Bost.
– Appointed Richard “Sam” Warick to a six-year term on the Industrial Facilities and Pollution Control Finance Authority.
– For the second month in a row, commissioners approved appointing David Redden to the Tourism Development Authority.
Carl Ford, chairman, noted that while Redden operates a local hotel, he is not a resident of Rowan County. The bylaws require a resident of the county.
– Ford and other commissioners appealed for residents to apply for vacancies on a host of county boards including the Juvenile Crime Prevention Council, Historic Landmarks Commission, Nursing Home Advisory Committee, Zoning Board of Adjustments and Adult Care Home Advisory Committee.
A complete list of vacancies is available on the Rowan County Web site or by calling the county manager’s office at 704-216-8180.
– Moved the first Monday in September meeting to Tuesday, Sept. 8 due to the Labor Day holiday.