Blood drives scheduled in March
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 1, 2009
The blood supply has dropped to low levels because of units lost due to inclement weather.
It takes more than 1,600 units of blood each day to meet patient needs. For nearly 5 million people who receive blood transfusions every year, your donation can make the difference between life and death. The work of saving lives truly begins with people like you.
All donors who donate blood or platelets March 1 through March 31 may enter a drawing to win one of three pairs of Delta Air Lines domestic tickets.
A state law was changed in July allowing 16-year-olds to donate blood. The Red Cross requires that 16-year-olds get signed parental consent before donating blood.
For more information, contact Sherry Smith at 704-633-3854, ext 105.
Following are blood donation opportunities for March. Numbers are provided for appointments, but walk-ins are also welcome.
– March 1, 1-5:30 p.m., Luther’s Lutheran Church, 4955 Richfield Roadd, Richfield. Call Pastor Carol Yeager at 704-754-6287.
– March 8, 1:30-6 p.m., Woodleaf United Methodist Church, 9000 Church St., Woodleaf. Call Sybil Perrell at 704-278-0041.
– March 9, 1-5:30 p.m. American Red Cross, 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd., West, Salisbury. Free biscuits for all donors donated by Biscuitville. Door prizes provided by Carillon Assisted Living of Salisbury. Call Sherry Smith at 704-633-3854.
– March 10, 2-6:30 p.m., North Hills Christian School, 2970 W. Innes St. Call Connie Lewis at 704-636-3005, ext 400.
– March 14, 10 a.m.ń 2:30 p.m., Community Day, Salisbury Mall, 1935 Jake Alexander Blvd., Salisbury. Free biscuits for all donors donated by Biscuitville. Call Sherry Smith at 704-633-3854.
– March 15, 1-5:30 p.m., Salem Lutheran Church, 5080 Sherrills Ford Road, Salisbury. Call Penny Barger at 704-202-4664.
– March 19, 11 a.mń 3:30 p.m. Doctor’s Day, Rowan Regional Medical Center, 612 Mocksville Ave, Salisbury. Call Sherry Smith at 704-633-3854.
– March 20, 10 a.m.ń 2:30 p.m., Team Chevrolet, 404 Jake Alexander Blvd., Salisbury. Call Lisa Weaver at 704-216-8000.
– March 21, 10 a.m.ń 2:30 p.m. Genesis Baptist Church, 9710 Old Concord-Salisbury Road, China Grove. Call Suzanne Dover at 704-699-7826.
– March 22, 8:30 a.m.ń 1 p.m. First United Methodist Church, 110 W. Church St., China Grove. Call Telisa Barnhardt at 704-857-5578.
– March 23, 1:30-6 p.m. China Grove Community Blood Drive. St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 326 N. Main St., China Grove. Call Sherry Smith at 704-633-3854.
– March 23, 1:30-6 p.m. Wal-Mart, 323 S. Arlington St. Call Jan Harwood at 707-639-9718.
– March 24, 10:30 a.m.ń3 p.m., Livingstone College, 701 W. Monroe St. Free biscuits for all donors, donated by Biscuitville. Call Dr. Walter Ellis at 704-704-216-6218.
Blood drive information subject to change. Call the Red Cross office at 704-633-3854 for updated information.