Area sports briefs: South loses in 9th
From staff reports
Corey Dick’s RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted Stanly to a 12-11 victory against South Rowan in Albemarle on Thursday and allowed Rowan County to clinch first place in the Southern Division of Area III.
Brett Huffman had three hits for South. Julio Zubillaga had two hits and three RBIs. Caleb Shore hit his fourth homer of the season and 16th of his career to tie Andrew Morgan for South’s all-time record.
Cameron Park, Preston Penninger, Walker Smith and Matt Ingold pitched for South (10-5, 8-5). Brett Brinson hit a three-run homer for Stanly (9-7, 7-6).
The teams split the season series.
South takes on Mooresville today in an unusual doubleheader. The game at South is at 1 p.m. The teams will meet at Mooresville at 7 p.m. Both games are scheduled for nine innings.
* Zack Russell-Myers hit a three-run homer to wipe out an early deficit, and Mocksville got key contributions from the West Rowan High trio of Hernan Bautista, Carlos Bautista and D.J. Webb to pound Kannapolis 11-4 at Rich Park.
Hernan Bautista drove in four runs for Mocksville (9-8, 6-7). Carlos, Hernan’s cousin, had three hits and three RBIs. Webb pitched eight innings, scattered seven hits and fanned 11 Wojans (3-12, 3-9).
Rashad Jackson homered for Kannapolis. Jacob Wright knocked in two runs.
– Junior American Legion
Salisbury scored four runs in the first inning and rolled 11-2 at Lexington’s Holt-Moffitt Field on Thursday. Patrick Snider pitched a four-hitter and struck out 12 batters for the Cavornets. Jeremy Forbis had three hits. Dakota Brown had two.
* Curtis Ward pitched a two-hitter with no walks as Rowan County beat Carson 10-0 in five innings Thursday.
Luke Thomas had three hits and five RBIs to lead Rowan’s offense. Thomas ended the game via the 10-run rule with a fifth-inning, walk-off single. Jamey Blalock homered. Blalock and Will Sapp had two hits each.
Rowan (16-4, 10-2) travels to Greenville, S.C., for a wood bat showcase tournament at USC Upstate.
– Wood bat leagues
Craige Lyerly (East Rowan, Catawba) went 1-for-2 for the Asheboro Copperheads in a 7-4 Coastal Plain League win against Martinsville on Thursday and raised his batting average to .372.
Lyerly and his teammates entertain Wade Moore and the first-place Forest City Owls (22-3) tonight at McCrary Park.
* Cameron White (Catawba) had two hits for the Columbia Blowfish in a 7-0 CPL loss against Fayetteville on Thursday. White has had two hits in each of his last four games.
– Intimidators lose
The Hickory Crawdads kicked off the second half of the SAL season with a walk-off 6-5 win against the Kannapolis Intimidators at Frans Stadium.
Justin Greene hit a three-run homer for the Intimidators.
– Minor leagues
Charlotte 49ers slugger Rob Lyerly, sixth round pick of the New York Yankees, signed a contract and is with Staten Island in the New York-Penn League. Lyerly had two hits Thursday in a 3-1 loss against Hudson Valley.
Lyerly’s parents, Robert and Sandy, are Rowan natives.
* UNC’s Kyle Seager (NW Cabarrus), a third-round pick, is still negotiating with the Seattle Mariners.
* Bristol’s Daniel Wagner (South Rowan) stole two bases in a 3-2 loss against Greeneville on Thursday.
* Tim Smith (Catawba) made his season debut for the Kingsport Mets and took a loss in a 12-11 setback against Johnson City. Smith struck out five in three innings but also allowed five runs and two homers.
* Jerry Sands (Catawba) hit his second homer for the Ogden Raptors on Thursday in a 6-4 loss against Orem.
* Jeremy Johnson (Mooresville) was the losing pitcher for Round Rock in a 3-2 loss against Oklahoma City on Wednesday. Johnson (4-6, 3.79 ERA) allowed three runs in six innings and fanned three.
– Prep soccer
West Rowan’s Allison Baucom has been selected to attend the North Carolina Youth Soccer Association region camp that will be held at East Carolina this weekend.
– College softball
Walters State catcher Gina Loflin (West Rowan) and outfielder Erin Foster (West) were second team all-conference picks.
Loflin batted .360 with six homers and 23 RBIs. Foster batted .302 with six homers and 21 RBIs.
– Catawba baseball camp
There are still open spots for the Catawba Baseball Future Stars Camp on June 29-July 2 and July 7-10.
Camps are for ages 7-13.
Drop-off begins at 8:30, and the camp runs until noon. Cost is $100 for a camp or $175 for both. Contact Catawba assistant coach Steven Sawyer at 305-360-6699 for information.
– Hurley YMCA programs
Registration continues through June 29 for T-Ball for girls and boys ages 4-7 and Coach Pitch for ages 6-9.
* Registration continues for summer basketball for girls and boys through grade 8.
Contact John Peterson at 704-636-0111.
– Local golf
Salisbury resident Frank Adams is tied for second after two rounds of the eGolf Professional Tour’s Spring Creek Championship event at Gordonsville, Va.
Adams shot 68-66 ó 134 and is 10-under par.
Spotlight on… Big Daddy Love appearing Friday at The Blue Vine In early 2006, Daniel Justin Smith, Dustin Transou, and... read more