Area Sports Briefs: Moors top Kannapolis
From staff reports
Brantley Horton (West Rowan) started the ninth inning with a single and trotted home on Aaron Meadows’ walk-off homer as Mooresville came from behind to beat Kannapolis 4-3 Tuesday.
The homer was Meadows’ fourth of the season.
Nick Lomascolo struck out six in eight innings before being relieved by Ross Whitley, who was seeing his first mound time of the summer.
Meadows, Lomascolo and Whitley are all Catawba signees.
– North athletes sign
North Rowan shot putter Dirika Mitchell has signed with UNC Pembroke’s track program.
Mitchell finished ninth in the 1A-2A-3A indoor state championships and placed seventh (35 feet, 1 inch) in the 2A outdoor state meet.
* North Rowan’s Roneshia Steele has signed a letter of intent with North Carolina Central’s bowling program.
More on both athletes is upcoming.
– State Games cyclists
Emily and Katherine Shields (Salisbury) participated in the State Games cycling criterium held in Mooresville.
Emily won the gold medal while Katherine won the silver medal in the junior women’s (ages 15-18) race.
Emily also won the bronze in the women’s 23-under race held immediately after the junior women’s race.
The sisters also placed first and second in the N.C. State Criterium held in Fayetteville.
– Catawba Chiefs
Club renewal information and football season ticket renewal information has been mailed out to all those who were members of the Catawba Chiefs Club in 2008-09.
The deadline to retain last season’s football seats is Friday, July 31.
Chiefs Club Coordinator Gordon Kirkland reports that interest is at an “all-time high” as indications are Catawba football will be strong.
There still are plenty of good seats available, but those interested in season tickets should act quickly.
Contact the Catawba College Development Office at (704) 637-4394 for more information.
– Minor leagues
Fort Myers lefty Spencer Steedley (East Rowan) earned his third save on Tuesday in a 7-6 win against Jupiter in the Florida State League.
Steedley allowed two runs, one earned, in two innings. He struck out two. His ERA went up to 1.05.
* Daniel Wagner (South Rowan) batted second and played second base for the Bristol Sox Tuesday in his pro debut Tuesday. Wagner was 0-for-3 but drove in a run with a sac fly in a 6-2 loss against Greeneville, Tenn.
Wagner made one error but also was part of three double plays.
* Jerry Sands (Catawba) had three hits out of the cleanup spot, including a home run, as Ogden opened the Pioneer League season with a 7-3 loss against Orem on Tuesday.
* Shortstop Chris Ahearn (Catawba) led off for San Diego’s rookie team in the Arizona League in a 5-0 loss against Dodgers rookies on Tuesday. Ahearn was 1-for-3. He stole second and was caught stealing third.
Ahearn was 0-for-4 on Monday.
* The North All-Stars beat the South 8-7 in South Atlantic League All-Star Game action Tuesday.
Karexon Sanchez and Travis D’Arnaud had two RBIs each for the North.
Juan Perez and Ebert Rosario homered for the South. Tim Beckham, first pick in the 2008 draft, had three hits.
– Wood bat leagues
Craige Lyerly (East Rowan, Catawba) was 3-for-6 for the Asheboro Copperheads and stole three bases in a 12-11 CPL loss to Gastonia on Tuesday. Lyerly is batting a team-high .352 with 13 RBIs.
* Cameron White (Catawba) had two hits for the Columbia Blowfish in a 7-6 loss against Fayetteville on Sunday.
– Pfeiffer basketball
CBS Sports will broadcast Pfeiffer’s men’s basketball game against Queens on Jan. 30 as part of a D-II series of games.
Water conditions on the Yadkin River lakes continue to be muddy to heavily stained with water levels at near full.... read more