Area briefs: Catawba soccer players honored
Published 12:00 am Friday, December 12, 2008
From staff reports
Catawba women’s soccer players Alyssa Schoenberg and Lainey Nichols were all-region, first-team picks, and Nikki Blackwelder was a second-team selection.n Salisbury Academy
Salisbury Academy’s varsity girls defeated Statesville Montessori 18-12. Madeline Hoskins scored 10 points for the Jaguars (7-2). Alexandra Drye hit clutch free throws to seal it.
* Salisbury Academy’s varsity boys Red team downed Statesville Montessori 38-23.
Trey Bergsma had 10 points and seven blocks for the Jaguars (8-0). Jon Mark Petty also played well for the Jaguars.
– Homeschool hoops
The Cabarrus-Rowan Homeschool boys basketball team beat Lincoln Charter 83-76.Christian Hicks led the way with 29 points and 13 rebounds. Tim Coleman had 23, K.P. Hicks 11 and Josh Wensil 10. Kyle Kiker had seven points and 12 rebounds for the Stallions (3-5).
* The Stallion girls beat Lincoln Charter 53-45 behind 28 points from Hannah Holm. Nikki Milo scored 11 for the Stallions (4-2).- The Stallion middle school boys lost to Greensboro 52-32. Brandon Adams scored 10 and Jordan Long nine.
* The Stallion jayvee boys defeated Greensboro 80-46. Sam Nelson had 22 points and 11 rebounds. John Clay scored 11 points. Jason Long had nine points and 11 assists. Ben Morgan grabbed 11 rebounds.
– Middle schools
Erwin’s girls edged Corriher-Lipe 28-25. Bobbi Thomas had eight points and 20 rebounds.
Sydney Poole added 12 points and had seven rebounds for the Eagles (5-2, 4-1). Jessie Rummage had six rebounds and six steals.
Corriher-Lipe (1-4) was led by Maria Gaddy with 12 points. MacKenzie Reid added seven.
* Corriher-Lipe’s boys rolled over Erwin 54-24.
The Yellow Jackets (3-2) got 19 points from Dillon Parker. Dylan Goodman scored eight. Brandon Mason added six.
Dustin Mowery paced Erwin (0-7, 0-5) with six points. Dalton Moose and Graham Lyerly had five rebounds apiece.
* North Rowan’s girls downed West Rowan 38-31.
North was led by Daterria Connor with 12 points and Nikhyia Polk with 10. West was led by Shay Steele with 10 points and Tabitha Ball with eight.
* Southeast’s girls downed China Grove 47-22.
Tyesha Phillips scored 18 points for the Patriots. Allison Blackwell had 13 points and 16 rebounds. Aleia Dewitt had six points. Maddy Blum had five.
* China Grove’s boys beat Southeast 46-26. Josh Medlin (13 points), Connor Bridges (11) and Bubba McLaughlin (10) scored in double figures for the Red Devils. Casey Stiller scored eight points and Greg Tonneson six for the Patriots.
– West pep rally
West Rowan will host a community pep rally tonight at the stadium to honor the varsity football team as its prepares to compete for the 3A state title.
Everyone is invited to bring food and enjoy tailgating at 6 p.m. behind the school. The pep rally is at 6:30 p.m., followed by a bonfire at 7 p.m.
– Junior Bobcats
Salisbury Parks and Recreation Department will hold registrations for Jr. Bobcat girls basketball ages 7-15 and co-ed basketball ages 5-6 from Dec. 15 through Jan. 9 at Hall Gym.
Cost is $35 for city residents and $70 for non-residents. Contact Tim Pittman or Steve Clark at 704-638-5289.
– ASU baseball
Appalachian State baseball’s program signed West Rowan pitcher Randy Shepherd, Florida infielder Hector Crespo, Brevard pitcher Nathan Hyatt, Starmount pitcher Tyler Jackson, North Davidson pitcher Zach Joyce, Ardrey Kell outfielder Ryan Stetson, Butler catcher Tyler Tewell, West Wilkes catcher Josh Zumbrook and Providence outfielder Tyler Zupcic.