- Friday, December 20, 2013 12:17 a.m.
In his classic novel “1984,” George Orwell warned about the evils of a totalitarian state dominated by a single ruling party with...
- Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:55 a.m.
I agree with our Native American population — I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.
- Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:05 a.m.
With another Winter Olympics starting in Sochi, Russia, in a few weeks, it is time to recall unique moments in Olympic history.
- Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:25 a.m.
“The only alternative that Obamacare’s critics have is, well, ‘let’s just go back to the status quo,’” said President Obama...
- Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:57 a.m.
State Sen. Bob Rucho deserves the fire storm of criticism for his tweet declaring that “Justice Robert’s pen & Obamacare has...
- Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:12 a.m.
Briefly, for the non-fan: Baseball is essentially a non-contact sport. Unless a fielder is holding the ball or in the act of...
- Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:26 a.m.
Dr. Lynn Moody is in the listening and learning mode.
- Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:14 a.m.
When adults are released from a United States prison, almost half of them will be back behind bars within three years.
- Saturday, December 14, 2013 12:08 a.m.
When you are little and the world seems so big, it’s hard to understand why someone you love is here one day and gone the next.
- Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:05 p.m.
In a Dec. 4 speech, President Obama declared income “inequality” to be “the defining challenge of our time.”
- Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:19 a.m.
North Carolina’s economy isn’t behaving the way it was supposed to.
- Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:43 a.m.
You know the question: If you could spend an hour with anyone, who would it be?
- Monday, December 9, 2013 12:17 a.m.
After hearing the details of a recent despicable event, I was reminded of a well-known quote, “Evil can exist only if good men do...
- Saturday, December 7, 2013 9:21 p.m.
This year our General Assembly members reached across the aisle on an issue of staggering significance, the trafficking of people...
Your community is growing. Perhaps it needs a new elementary school, a fire station or a bigger courthouse. Where should these...
By Richard Saunders
- Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:13 a.m.
When I was a young boy growing up in Buffalo, N.Y., my parents would go to church every Sunday. Afterwards, they liked to go to a...