Area briefs: Intimidators drop slugfest
Hickory’s Kellin Deglan blasted a pair of home runs, including a go-ahead grand slam in the sixth inning, to lead the Crawdads to an 11-10 win against visiting Kannapolis on a rainy Tuesday in Hickory.
Deglan drove in seven, and Hickory won its ninth straight SAL game.
Christian Stringer hit two homers for Kannapolis, while Danny Hayes hit one.
Shortstop Corey Seager (NWC, Kannapolis Legion), who plays for Class A Rancho Cucamonga, was selected to play in the 16th annual prospect Futures Game showcase at Target Field in Minnesota on July 13, two days before the All-Star Game. The USA vs. World game will be televised by MLB Network.
Seager, 20, is hitting .353 with 27 doubles, 13 home runs, 52 RBIs and 49 runs scored in 65 games. The 2012 first-round pick by the Dodgers ranks in the top three in the California League in hits, extra-base hits, doubles, batting average and slugging percentage.
• Nick Lomascolo (Catawba) turned in his fourth straight scoreless relief outing on Tuesday for State College in the New York-Penn League.
• Chris Dula (Catawba) pitched a scoreless inning on Tuesday for Spokane.
• Whit Merrifield (Davie) is still hot at Omaha. He’s batting .393 since being promoted to Triple-A by Kansas City. He’s batting .422 in his last 10 games.
Wood bat leagues
Brian Bauk (Salisbury, App. State) is playing well for the Brockton Rox of the Futures League. Bauk is batting .314 (11-for-35).
Sixty-two GARS members played in foursomes at Lexington Country Club.
Low ‘A’ Flight player with a net of 63.04 was Jack Swicegood. Low ‘B’ player with a net of 66.65 was Ralph Brown.
Low ‘C’ player with a net of 66.50 was Jan Kichefski.
Low ‘D’ player with a net of 67.33 was Harold Caudill.
• Match-play pairings are set for June 27-29 for the Rowan Masters at Warrior.
See Scoreboard for pairings.
South grad hired
Jordan West (South Rowan, Class of 2009) will be joining the football coaching staff at Davidson.
He has served the past two seasons as an undergraduate assistant at N.C. State, working last year under offensive coordinator Matt Canada.
Heads Up Football
Starting at 8 a.m. today, USA Football will be at A.L. Brown to certify the Kannapolis City Schools football staff on Heads Up Football.
A.L. Brown High and Kannapolis Middle School football staffs will be trained and will be among the first school systems in the state to be fully trained.
Heads Up Football is designed to help keep players safer during practice and competition.
Kannapolis split a doubleheader with Stanly on Tuesday, losing 4-3 at home and winning 8-4 in Albemarle.
• Southern Rowan is at Concord tonight. Rowan hosts Kannapolis.
The alumni basketball tournament will be revived in late July.
The “Run It Down” Tournament will include men and women’s teams representing area schools and will be held July 25, 26 and 27 at the North Rowan High gym.
Games will start at 6 p.m. on July 25.
The event also will include a youth basketball clinic on July 25 for boys and girls,ages 5-13.
China Grove businessman/basketball player Stephen Heggins is heading the event. Contact Heggins at 704-224-7647.
A.L. Brown’s Kaylee Cook and Kelly Chrismon and West Rowan catcher Marissa Yow were part of the Region 6 team that finished second in the State Games.
Joe Watson (Davie, Catawba) made his pro debut in relief on Monday for the Arizona League Rangers. He retired two batters, walked one and was charge with one run.
East Diamond Sports
The 12U East Rowan all-stars play Maiden at 3 on Saturday in the Area 2 WNC Cal Ripken tournament in Statesville.
• The 11U East Rowan all-stars play at 6 on Friday night against China Grove in the Area 3 tournament in Rockwell.
The Area 3 tournament runs Friday through Monday at Rockwell with the championship game set for 6PM Monday.
• The 10U East Rowan all-stars play at 1 on Saturday in the Area 3 tournament against the Surry South/North Stokes winner in Westfield.
• The 9U East Rowan all-stars play Saturday against Yadkin County at 1PM in Statesville in the Area 3 tournament.
• The 8U East Rowan all-stars play Friday at 6PM against Davidson County in Churchland in the Area 3 tournament.
• The 10U East Rowan softball all-stars play Union County at 8PM Thursday in the Babe Ruth Softball Area 4 tournament in Polkton.
• The 8U East Rowan softball all-stars play Union County at 6PM in the Area 4 tournament in Polkton.
Following are the sites and dates for the 21st annual Hoops Unlimited summer basketball camps.
North Stanly Middle School: July 7-10, rising 2nd-5th grade boys and girls and July 14-17, rising 6th-10th grade boys and girls
The cost of the all-day camp is $110, which includes an “all you can eat” lunch. Each camper will also receive a camp water bottle and camp T-shirt. For brochures and information, go to www.hoopsunlimitedcamp.com, or call camp director Rick Roseman at 704-279-7334.
West football seats
The West Rowan High School Athletic Boosters are now taking renewals for previously held reserved football seats for this comingvarsity football season.
Please contact Jim Haire at email@example.com or 704-202-5628 (after 6 p.m) to renew seats or answer questions in general.
Seats not renewed by July 31, will not be held past that date.
All remaining seats will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning Aug. 1.