Schools closed tomorrow; other cancellations
Rowan-Salisbury Schools will be closed for students Wednesday with an optional work day.
Kannapolis City Schools will be closed for students Wednesday with an optional teacher work day.
As the weather forecast worsened today after a winter storm warning was issued, cancellations and delays piled up.
Among the casualties is the Salisbury City Council’s annual retreat, which had been scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday at the Rowan Museum. The retreat will be rescheduled for a later date, the city said.
Here’s a list of cancellations, closings and delays the Post has received:
• Saleeby-Fisher YMCA, East Rowan Branch will be closed Wednesday.
• Rowan-Cabarrus Community College is closed Wednesday.
• Salisbury Academy is closed Wednesday and Thursday. All-Day ASK has been canceled on Friday. The school is closed Monday for President’s Day.
• Rufty-Holmes Senior Center and all Lunch Club sites will be closed on Wednesday.
• Catawba College will be closed and all classes cancelled on Wednesday due to weather.
• The Center for the Environment at Catawba College has cancelled Thursday’s EnviroMingle at Cougar Run Winery in Concord. It has been rescheduled for 6-8 p.m. on March 4.
The EnviroMingle is open to anyone with an interest in creating a more environmentally sustainable future.
The event, held in partnership with the Cabarrus Food Policy Council, is a time of mingling and networking, sharing ideas and learning more about the Center’s activities and programs.
To register online for the rescheduled event, visit www.CenterForTheEnvironment.org .
• The Cooperative Christian Ministry Crisis Center will be closed Thursday. The Talk n’ Tour events scheduled for tonight and Thursday have been cancelled. The next Talk n’ Tour events will be held March 4 at 6 p.m., and March 5 at 2 p.m.
• Horizons Unlimited has canceled its planetarium show, “Sunlight and Shadows,” scheduled for Saturday.
• In coordination with CSX Transportation, Amtrak will suspend service due to the latest winter storm forecast for the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic regions.
The Silver Star, Train 91, is canceled today, and no alternate transportation will be provided. The Silver Star, Train 92, will terminate in Jacksonville, Fla.
The following services will be suspended for Wednesday, Feb. 12:
The Silver Service Train 91 and 98
The Palmetto Train 89 and 90
Auto Train 52 and 53
Carolinian 79 and 80
Passengers with travel plans for Tuesday and Wednesday are encouraged to plan ahead and make any necessary reservation changes in advance. Tools are available to assist with travel planning including Amtrak.com (including the interactive train tracker map), the Amtrak smartphone app and 1-800-USA-RAIL.
• Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 1908 Statesville Blvd. has cancelled its Wednesday evening Bible study.
• Cabarrus County government has made the following changes:
With the exception of dialysis appointments, all Cabarrus County Transportation Services are suspended at this time. Cabarrus Links services are suspended, as well.
All Cabarrus County LunchPlus meal sites are closed. CCTS will return early to transport those who normally require services.
All classes taking place after 12:30 p.m. at the Cabarrus County Senior Centers and parks are canceled. All youth basketball practices and games that are part of the Cabarrus County Active Living and Parks Department are also canceled.
• Kannapolis City Schools will dismiss two hours early today.
• Ardis Chapel AME Zion Church, 1940 Old Mocksville Road, Bible study scheduled for Wednesday night has been canceled.
• Cedar Grove AME Zion Church, Cleveland, Bible study, Children and Youth Practice has been cancelled for Wednesday.
• The Rowan County Board of Health meeting scheduled for Tuesday has been canceled.
• Today’s open house for the Families First Court Child Care Center has been postponed. The new date is Feb. 18, 5 p.m.–6 p.m.
• The Rowan County Chamber of Commerce’s Business After Hours event scheduled for tonight at the Salisbury Country Club has been rescheduled to Feb. 24.
• The Rowan History Club program for tonight has been cancelled.
• The Cabarrus County Chamber of Commerce and Modern Eye Care postponed tonight’s Biz After Hours event until Feb. 18.
• The Salisbury Rotary Club has rescheduled Wednesday’s producer night at Piedmont Players Theater Feb. 19 at 6 p.m.
• The chamber’s Women in Business event scheduled for Wednesday at Salisbury Salon & Spa will be rescheduled at a later date.
• Salisbury Woman’s Club meeting at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday is canceled.
• If the Rowan-Salisbury School System cancels classes Thursday, Communities In Schools of Rowan County will cancel volunteer training for the same day and reschedule it for Feb. 25 at 9 a.m.
Send information about cancellations and delays to email@example.com